- PhD ‘The role of Welsh language media in the construction and perceptions of identity during middle childhood’, Aberystwyth University.
- MA Development Studies, University of Sydney, Australia
- BA Geography and Anthropology joint honours University College London (UCL)
- Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management, Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
Helen has just taken up the position of Senior Research Assistant on a four year (October 2015 – September 2019) research project funded by The Leverhulme Trust, entitled ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project’. For more detail on this project please see Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project
Helen has gained extensive production experience working on a number of preschool and children’s productions for S4C, CBeebies, BBC Bitesize, CiTV and Channel 5’s Milkshake. Her experience includes voice directing, producing and production coordinating specialising in animation.
Cysylltu Methodolegau Ymchwil Academaidd i weithgareddau busnes: Cynulleidfaoedd ifanc, cynhyrchu ym myd teledu a Phartneriaeth Trosglwyddo Gwybodaeth (KTP) (Bridging Academic Research and Industry Practice: ‘Tween’ Audiences, Television Production and Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP)) – Joint publication with Dr. Merris Griffiths Cyfrwng 2012 Journal.
- 2011 ‘Exploring the Benefits of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP): Applying Academic Research Methods to Welsh-language Children’s Television Production’. International Conference on Minority Languages (ICML), Flensburg University, Germany.
- 2011 ‘A Methodological Approach to Bridging Academic Research and Industry Practice’. Cyfrwng, The University of South Wales, Cardiff .
- 2012 ‘Understanding Tween Audiences’ Television Preferences and Multi-platform Practices: Exploring the Benefits of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP)‘. Audiences, Users & Producers of Public Service Content: Challenges Ahead’. Canterbury Christ Church University
- 2013 ‘Tween Audiences and Minority Language Media in Wales’. Aberystwyth Media Seminar, Aberystwyth University.
- 2016 ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues’, research seminar, with Dr Lisa Lewis and Dr Aparna Sharma, UCLA
- 2016 ‘Postcolonialism and “Discovering” the Americas: The tradition of Otherness’, Lecture, Department of World Arts and Cultures, UCLA
- 2016 ‘The Use of Thematic Analysis in Bilingual Media Research’. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association Postgraduate Network conference, Leicester University.
Research Consultant on the Digital Explorations Project between the Arts Council and Aberystwyth University:
The Digital Exploration Project aimed to explore how schools and arts organisations can work together by using digital technology to overcome geographical barriers. Helen’s role was to advise on best practice models for working with children and also conducting follow up focus group session with the children once the specific art project had been completed.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.