- PhD ‘The role of Welsh language media in the construction and perceptions of identity during middle childhood’, Aberystwyth University.
- MA Development Studies, University of Sydney, Australia
- BA Geography and Anthropology joint honours University College London (UCL)
- Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management, Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
I currently hold the post of Senior Research Assistant on a four year (October 2015 – September 2019) research project funded by The Leverhulme Trust, entitled ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project’. For more detail on this project please see Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project
- 2015 – present – Senior Research Assistant
- 2017 – Script writing master classes with final year BA (Anrh) Theatr a Drama – part of the collaborative project between animation company Clothcat and USW funded by the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol.
- 2016 – 2017 Joint project co-ordinator alongside Sera Moore Williams on the collaborative project between animation company Clothcat and USW funded by the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol.
- 2014 Guest lecturer (external) Script writing and adaptation for animation USW
- 2012-2014 Guest lecturer ‘Genrau Teledu’ Aberystwyth University
I have gained extensive production experience working on a number of Welsh, British and international preschool and children’s productions for S4C, CBeebies, BBC Bitesize, CiTV, Channel 5’s Milkshake and ABC Kids. My credits include voice directing (Lou Bao Bei, Toot, Cymylau Bychain, Tri Chwestiwn i Lara), producing (Olobobs, Tri Chwestiwn i Lara) and script adaptation (Hafon Haul, Cymylau Bychain) for animation. In addition to this I have also worked as production coordinating on a number of mixed media and online productions, including Llan-ar-gollen and the enhanced history e-book ‘The Dragon and the Eagle’.
- 2012 joint publication with Dr Merris Griffiths ’Cysylltu Methodolegau Ymchwil Academaidd i weithgareddau busnes: Cynulleidfaoedd ifanc, cynhyrchu ym myd teledu a Phartneriaeth Trosglwyddo Gwybodaeth (KTP) (Bridging Academic Research and Industry Practice: ‘Tween’ Audiences, Television Production and Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP)) Cyfrwng Journal.
- 2017 McElroy, R., Wiliam, H., Papagiannouli, C. & Davies H. ‘Response to DCMS Review of S4C. S4C in Context: A comparative overview’
- 2018 Davies, H. and Papagiannouli, C. (2018) The Future of Welsh-language broadcaster S4C: Funding and Remit, Media Policy Project Blog, LSE.
- 2017 ‘Translations and transformations: the performance of language in the interweaving of cultures’. Interweaving Performance Cultures: Theory and Practice, University of Malta.
- 2016 ‘The Use of Thematic Analysis in Bilingual Media Research’. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association Postgraduate Network conference, Leicester University.
- 2016 ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues’, research seminar, with Dr Lisa Lewis and Dr Aparna Sharma, UCLA
- 2016 ‘Postcolonialism and “Discovering” the Americas: The tradition of Otherness’, Lecture, Department of World Arts and Cultures, UCLA
- 2013 ‘Tween Audiences and Minority Language Media in Wales’. Aberystwyth Media Seminar, Aberystwyth University.
- 2012 ‘Understanding Tween Audiences’ Television Preferences and Multi-platform Practices: Exploring the Benefits of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP)‘. Audiences, Users & Producers of Public Service Content: Challenges Ahead’. Canterbury Christ Church University
- 2011 ‘A Methodological Approach to Bridging Academic Research and Industry Practice’. Cyfrwng, The University of South Wales, Cardiff .
- 2011 ‘Exploring the Benefits of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP): Applying Academic Research Methods to Welsh-language Children’s Television Production’. International Conference on Minority Languages (ICML), Flensburg University, Germany.
- 2018 Cynhadledd myfyrwyr Hanes Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol panel gyrfa. Careers panel as part of the CCC History Students Conference. Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, Prifysgol Cymru Y Drindod Dewi Sant/University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- 2017 Cynhadledd Dathlu’r Gymraeg - ’Dyfodol Darlledu Cymraeg’ trafodaeth banel. Panel discussion on the future of Welsh-language broadcasting Celebrating Our Language Annual Conference. Yr Hen Lyfrgell, Caerdydd/The Old Library, Cardiff.
Centre for the Study of Media and Culture in Small Nations
Research Consultant on the Digital Explorations Project between the Arts Council and Aberystwyth University:
The Digital Exploration Project aimed to explore how schools and arts organisations can work together by using digital technology to overcome geographical barriers. My role was to advise on best practice models for working with children and also conducting follow up focus group session with the children once the specific art project had been completed.
Socio-linguistics with a specific focus on Welsh language media and broadcasting, media engagement by by children, ‘tweens’ and young adults, the Welsh language and Welsh cultural heritage, language and identity, the history of the Welsh overseas with specific focus on the Welsh diaspora in Patagonia and north America, and the Welsh missionary fields in northeast India.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.