Dr Christina Papagiannouli
- Ph.D., The Etheatre Project. Directing Political Cyberformance, University of East London, 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate in Research, University of East London, 2011
- MA in Theatre Directing, University of East London, 2010
- Integrated MA in Theatre Studies, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2009
- Diploma in Drama, University of Kent, 2007
Dr Christina Papagiannouli is Research Fellow in Performance and Interactive & Immersive Technology at the University of South Wales, where she also lectures performance and new media. She holds a practice-based PhD in theatre and digital performance and an MA in theatre directing from the University of East London, an Intergrated MA in theatre studies from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and a diploma in drama from the University of Kent. Her practice-based PhD research focused on the political character of cyberformance. Papagiannouli has presented her work at a range of international events and conferences. Her monograph ‘Political Cyberformance: The Etheatre Project’ was published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2015.
For further details, see the Etheatre Project’s blog.
University of South Wales (USW)
- 2019-pres: Research Fellow: Performance and Interactive & Immersive Technology
- 2014-2019: Research Assistant, Creative Industries Research
- 2015-2016: Hourly-paid Lecturer in Performing Arts
University of East London (UEL)
- 2012-2015: Hourly-paid Lecturer in Performing Arts
- 2013-2014: Research Assistant
- 2011-2012: Graduate Assistant, BA (Hons) Theatre Studies
Papagiannouli, C. (2016) Political Cyberformance: The Etheatre Project. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Papagiannouli, C. (2018) ‘Internet, Theatre and the Public Voice’ in Ananda Breed and Tim Prentki (Eds.) Performance and Civic Engagement, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Refereed journal articles
Sarah Crews & Christina Papagiannouli (2019) InstaStan – FaceBrook – Brecht +: a performer training methodology for the age of the internet, Theatre, Dance and Performance Training, 10:2, 187-204, DOI: 10.1080/19443927.2019.1613260
Papagiannouli, C. (2018) On Line: A response from a transmedial, postdigital and post-Internet future, Performance Research: On Reflection – Turning 100, 23(4-5), pp. 428-30. DOI:10.1080/13528165.2018.1506384
McElroy, R., Papagiannouli, C. & Wiliam, H. (2017) Broadcasting after devolution: policy and critique in the Welsh media landscape 2008–2015, International Journal of Cultural Policy, pp. 1-15.
Papagiannouli, C. (2011) Cyberformance and the Cyberstage The International Journal of the Arts in Society, 6 (4), pp. 273-282.
Davies, H. and Papagiannouli, C. (2018) The Future of Welsh-language broadcaster S4C: Funding and Remit, Media Policy Project Blog, LSE.
McElroy, R., Wiliam, H., Papagiannouli, C. and Davies, H. (2017) S4C in Context: A comparative overview, Response to DCMS Review of S4C (Ymateb i Adolygiad Yr Adran Dros Ddiwylliant Cyfryngau a Chwaraeon o S4C ), 13 October.
Papagiannouli, C. (2016) Interviewed by Ilinca Todoruţ CHRISTINA PAPAGIANNOULI ON CYBERFORMANCE, ONLINE THEATRE, AND POKÉMON GO, The Theatre Times, 30 August.
McElroy, R., Papagiannouli, C. and Wiliam, H. (2015) ‘Annex 1: Review of Policy Development’ in IWA Wales Media Audit 2015, Cardiff: IWA, pp. 124-138.
Papagiannouli, C. (2012) Etheatre Project: The Director as Researcher ATINER’s Conference Paper Series No: ART2012-0172.
- ‘Research-led Teaching in Creative Industries: A Win-Win Strategy for Research and Learning & Teaching in HE’ Research-led teaching: Defining and celebrating a tradition, University of Kent and UCU, Feb 2020.
- ‘InstaStan – FaceBook – Brecht+: A performer training methodology for the Age of the Internet.’ Bertolt Brecht: Contradictions as a Method. DAMU and The S Word, Prague (Czech Republic), Nov 2019.
- (with Crews, S.) ‘InstaStan – FaceBrook – Brecht+: A Performer Training Methodology for the Age of the Internet’, 2018 TaPRA Conference, Aberystwyth University (UK), Sep 2018.
- ‘Internet, Theatre and National Identity: The Dis-United Kingdom and its National Theatres’, 2018 IFTR Conference: Theatre and Migration / Theatre, Nation and Identity, University of Arts, Belgrade (Serbia), Aug 2018.
- ‘Postdigital audiences: Theatre in a transmedia world’, 2017 TaPRA Conference, University of Salford (UK), Aug-Sep 2017.
- ‘The Director as Researcher: Bertolt Brecht’, IBS 2016 Symposium: Recycling Brecht, St Hugh’s College, University of Oxford (UK), Jun 2016.
- ‘Liveness or “Live-less?” Theatrofilm from Broadway to NTLive’. IFTR 2016 Conference: Presenting the Theatrical Past, Stockholms University (Sweden), Jun 2016.
- ‘The Director as Researcher: Cyber-Ethnography and Cyber-Documentation’. 2015 TaPRA Conference, University of Worcester (UK), Sep 2015.
- ‘Intermedial Interculturalism: Life Streaming and Call Cutta in a Box’. ISIS 2015: Play/ Perform/ Participate, Utrecht University (Netherlands), Apr 2015.
- ‘Directing Dialectics: The Director as Discussion Facilitator’. Performing Dialectics Symposium, Queen Mary, University of London (UK), Jan 2015.
- ‘The Etheatre Project: Directing Cyber-Brechtian Theatre’. Whither Political Theatre? British Academy for the humanities and social sciences, University of Cambridge (UK), Sep 2014.
- ‘The Etheatre Project: Political Participation in Online Theatre’. Digital Research in the Humanities and Arts (DRHA2014), University of Greenwich (UK), Sep 2014.
- ‘To Be and Not to Be, this is the answer’. Rethinking Intermediality in the Digital Age. International Society for Intermedial Studies. Sapientia University, Cluj-Napoca (Romania), Oct 2013.
- ‘A Short Organum for Cyberformance: The Internet as an Apparatus of Communication’. IFTR/FIRT 2013 Conference: Re-Routing Performance. Institut del Teatre, Barcelona (Spain), Jul 2013.
- ‘(Per)forming Political Spaces within Cyberstage’. The Viewing of Politics and the Politics of Viewing, AUTH and Hellenic Association for American Studies, Thessaloniki (Greece), Apr 2013.
- ‘The Death of the Audience’. Remote Encounters Conference, Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries, University of Glamorgan (Wales), Apr 2013.
- ‘A Short Organum for Cyberformance: The Internet as an Apparatus of Communication’. TaPRA 8th Annual Conference 2012, Kent University, Canterbury (UK), Sep 2012.
- ‘The Cyberformance “Bodyless” Experience or How to Embody Absence on Cyberstage’. IFTR/FIRT 2012 Conference: Mediating Performance: Scene, Media et Mediation, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago (Chile), Jul 2012.
- ‘Etheatre Project: The Director as Researcher’. 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, ATINER, Athens (Greece), Jun 2012.
- ‘Cyberian Chalk Circle: The Political Space of Cyberstage’. Postdramatic Theatre as/or Political Theatre Representation, Mediatisation and Advanced Capitalism Conference, Institute of Germanic and Romantic Studies, University of London (UK), Sep 2011.
- ‘Cyberformance and the Cyberstage’. 6th International Conference on the Arts in Society, BBAW, Berlin (Germany), May 2011.
- Life after the PhD. What’s next?’, Postgraduate Research Conference, Faculty of Creative Industries, University of South Wales, Apr 2019
- ‘Το Διαδικτυακό Θέατρο: Όλος ο Κόσμος μια Σκηνή (Theatre and the Internet: All the World’s a Cyberstage)’, 5th International Elife Congress (Under the Auspices of H.E the President of the Hellenic Republic), Hellenic Association for the Study of Internet Addiction Disorder, Karditsa (Greece), Jun 2016.
- ‘Το Διαδικτυακό Θέατρο (Theatr a’r Rhyngrwyd)’ Cynhadledd Gydweithredol Astudiaethau Theatre a Drama: Theatr, Perfformiad, a Thechnoleg. The ATRiuM Building, Cardiff, Jan 2016
- ‘Self Versioning: exploring the potentials of the digital self’ Panel Discussion. V&A Digital Futures. The White Building. London, Mar 2015
- ‘Etheatre Project: Political Participation in Online Theatre’. Participative Theatre: Engaging Audiences in Digital and Non-digital Environments (CPAD Seminar Event), UEL, Apr 2014
- ‘Cyber-collaboration: UpStage, Waterwheel Tap and the Etheatre Project’. 10thUpStage Birthday Networked Symposium. Signalraum, Munich (Germany); 19 Tory Street Art Space, Wellington (New Zealand) and UpStage (online), Jan 2014
- ‘Internet, Theatre and the Public Voice’. Applying Digitised Agency. Community Engagement and the Arts (IPAD colloquia series), Stratford Circus. London (UK), Jun 2013
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
TaPRA: Co-convenor of Performance & New Technologies Working Group.
ATINER: Academic member of Athens Institute for Education and Research.
GEECS: Member of The George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling.
IBS: Member of the International Brecht Society.
IFTR: Member of Intermediality in Theatre and Performance Working Group.
ISIS: Member of the International Society for Intermedial Studies.
- Member of Editorial Board,Athenian Periodical of Critical Praxis, since 2019
- Member of Reviewers’ Board, Athens Journal of Humanities & Arts., since 2015
- Symposium co-organiser: CyPosium: Cyberformance Symposium (Online), 2012.
- Associate Editor, Common Ground (Publisher), 2011.
My principal research interests lie in the field of digital performance, applied digital storytelling, interactive and political theatre stage directing, web portfolio development and the use of technology in performance art, research and education.
PRACTICE-BASED RESEARCH OUTPUTS
Etheatre Project: Waiting for Brexit,TaPRA Gallery, 2019
Etheatre Project and Collaborators, part of The Etheatre Project, 2014
Merry Crisis and a Happy New Fear, part of The Etheatre Project, 2012
Cyberian Chalk Circle, part of The Etheatre Project, 2011
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.