Dr Christina Papagiannouli
- Ph.D., The Etheatre Project. Directing Political Cyberformance, University of East London, 2014
- Postgraduate Certificate in Research, University of East London, 2011
- MA in Theatre Directing, University of East London, 2010
- BA (Hons) in Drama, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 2009
- Diploma in Drama, University of Kent, 2007
Dr Christina Papagiannouli is a postdoctoral research assistant and part-time lecturer at the University of South Wales. She holds a practice-based PhD in theatre and digital performance and an MA in theatre directing from the University of East London, a BA (Hons) in theatre studies from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and a diploma in drama from the University of Kent. Her practice-based PhD research focused on the political character of cyberformance. Papagiannouli has presented her work at a range of international events and conferences. Her monograph ‘Political Cyberformance: The Etheatre Project’ was published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2015.
For further details, see the Etheatre Project’s blog.
2014-present: Research Assistant, University of South Wales (USW)
2015-2016: Hourly-paid Lecturer in Performing Arts, USW
2012-2015: Hourly-paid Lecturer in Performing Arts, University of East London (UEL)
2014-2015: Guest Lecturer, BA (Hons) Drama, Applied Theatre and Performance, UEL
2012-2014: Guest Lecturer, MA Acting/Directing, UEL
2013-2014: Research Assistant, UEL
2011-2012: Graduate Assistant, BA (Hons) Theatre Studies, UEL
Papagiannouli, C. (2018) ‘Internet, Theatre and the Public Voice’ in Ananda Breed and Tim Prentki (Eds.) Performance and Civic Engagement, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
McElroy, R., Papagiannouli, C. & Wiliam, H. (2017) Broadcasting after devolution: policy and critique in the Welsh media landscape 2008–2015, International Journal of Cultural Policy, pp. 1-15.
Papagiannouli, C. (2016) Political Cyberformance: The Etheatre Project. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
McElroy, R., Papagiannouli, C. and Wiliam, H. (2015) ‘Annex 1: Review of Policy Development’ in IWA Wales Media Audit 2015, Cardiff: IWA, pp. 124-138.
Papagiannouli, C. (2012) Etheatre Project: The Director as Researcher ATINER’s Conference Paper Series No: ART2012-0172.
Papagiannouli, C. (2011) Cyberformance and the Cyberstage The International Journal of the Arts in Society, 6 (4), pp. 273-282.
- ‘Postdigital audiences: Theatre in a transmedia world’, 2017 TaPRA Conference, University of Salford (UK), Aug-Sep 2017.
- ‘The Director as Researcher: Bertolt Brecht’, IBS 2016 Symposium: Recycling Brecht, St Hugh’s College, University of Oxford (UK), Jun 2016.
- ‘Liveness or “Live-less?” Theatrofilm from Broadway to NTLive’. IFTR 2016 Conference: Presenting the Theatrical Past, Stockholms University (Sweden), Jun 2016.
- ‘The Director as Researcher: Cyber-Ethnography and Cyber-Documentation’. 2015 TaPRA Conference, University of Worcester (UK), Sep 2015.
- ‘Intermedial Interculturalism: Life Streaming and Call Cutta in a Box’. ISIS 2015: Play/ Perform/ Participate, Utrecht University (Netherlands), Apr 2015.
- ‘Directing Dialectics: The Director as Discussion Facilitator’. Performing Dialectics Symposium, Queen Mary, University of London (UK), Jan 2015.
- ‘The Etheatre Project: Directing Cyber-Brechtian Theatre’. Whither Political Theatre? British Academy for the humanities and social sciences, University of Cambridge (UK), Sep 2014.
- ‘The Etheatre Project: Political Participation in Online Theatre’. Digital Research in the Humanities and Arts (DRHA2014), University of Greenwich (UK), Sep 2014.
- ‘To Be and Not to Be, this is the answer’. Rethinking Intermediality in the Digital Age. International Society for Intermedial Studies. Sapientia University, Cluj-Napoca (Romania), Oct 2013.
- ‘A Short Organum for Cyberformance: The Internet as an Apparatus of Communication’. IFTR/FIRT 2013 Conference: Re-Routing Performance. Institut del Teatre, Barcelona (Spain), Jul 2013.
- ‘(Per)forming Political Spaces within Cyberstage’. The Viewing of Politics and the Politics of Viewing, AUTH and Hellenic Association for American Studies, Thessaloniki (Greece), Apr 2013.
- ‘The Death of the Audience’. Remote Encounters Conference, Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries, University of Glamorgan (Wales), Apr 2013.
- ‘A Short Organum for Cyberformance: The Internet as an Apparatus of Communication’. TaPRA 8th Annual Conference 2012, Kent University, Canterbury (UK), Sep 2012.
- ‘The Cyberformance “Bodyless” Experience or How to Embody Absence on Cyberstage’. IFTR/FIRT 2012 Conference: Mediating Performance: Scene, Media et Mediation, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago (Chile), Jul 2012.
- ‘Etheatre Project: The Director as Researcher’. 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts, ATINER, Athens (Greece), Jun 2012.
- ‘Cyberian Chalk Circle: The Political Space of Cyberstage’. Postdramatic Theatre as/or Political Theatre Representation, Mediatisation and Advanced Capitalism Conference, Institute of Germanic and Romantic Studies, University of London (UK), Sep 2011.
- ‘Cyberformance and the Cyberstage’. 6th International Conference on the Arts in Society, BBAW, Berlin (Germany), May 2011.
- ‘Το Διαδικτυακό Θέατρο: Όλος ο Κόσμος μια Σκηνή (Theatre and the Internet: All the World’s a Cyberstage)’, 5th International Elife Congress (Under the Auspices of H.E the President of the Hellenic Republic), Hellenic Association for the Study of Internet Addiction Disorder, Karditsa (Greece), Jun 2016.
- ‘Το Διαδικτυακό Θέατρο (Theatr a’r Rhyngrwyd)’ Cynhadledd Gydweithredol Astudiaethau Theatre a Drama: Theatr, Perfformiad, a Thechnoleg. The ATRiuM Building, Cardiff, Jan 2016
- ‘Self Versioning: exploring the potentials of the digital self’ Panel Discussion. V&A Digital Futures. The White Building. London, Mar 2015
- ‘Etheatre Project: Political Participation in Online Theatre’. Participative Theatre: Engaging Audiences in Digital and Non-digital Environments (CPAD Seminar Event), UEL, Apr 2014
- ‘Cyber-collaboration: UpStage, Waterwheel Tap and the Etheatre Project’. 10thUpStage Birthday Networked Symposium. Signalraum, Munich (Germany); 19 Tory Street Art Space, Wellington (New Zealand) and UpStage (online), Jan 2014
- ‘Internet, Theatre and the Public Voice’. Applying Digitised Agency. Community Engagement and the Arts (IPAD colloquia series), Stratford Circus. London (UK), Jun 2013
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
TaPRA: Co-convenor of Performance & New Technologies Working Group.
ATINER: Academic member of Athens Institute for Education and Research.
GEECS: Member of The George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling.
IBS: Member of the International Brecht Society.
IFTR: Member of Intermediality in Theatre and Performance Working Group.
ISIS: Member of the International Society for Intermedial Studies.
- Member of Reviewers’ Board, Athens Journal of Humanities & Arts., since 2015
- Symposium co-organiser: CyPosium: Cyberformance Symposium (Online), 2012.
- Associate Editor, Common Ground (Publisher), 2011.
My principal research interests lie in the field of digital performance, applied digital storytelling, interactive and political theatre stage directing, web portfolio development and the use of technology in performance art, research and education.
PRACTICE-BASED RESEARCH OUTPUTS
Etheatre Project and Collaborators, part of The Etheatre Project, 2014
Merry Crisis and a Happy New Fear, part of The Etheatre Project, 2012
Cyberian Chalk Circle, part of The Etheatre Project, 2011
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.