CK Tan known as CK
BEng (Hons), PhD, CEng
CK Tan received his PhD degree in 2003 by investigating the monitoring and diagnosis of burner slag formation in pulverised coal fired boiler. His research and industrial experience were gained in both experimental and mathematical modelling aspects of combustion engineering. He has undertaken experimental work on both pilot scale facilities and on very large production furnaces. He has experience in a range of modelling methods such as CFD, zone modelling and artificial intelligence techniques including neural networks and genetic algorithms. He has published over 40 articles and a book chapter in these research areas. He has worked as principal and co-investigator for a number of EPSRC and European funded research projects.
1997 – 1999 (Piping Stress Analysis Engineer): Technip Geoproduction, Malaysia
1999 – 2003 (Research Assistant): University of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
2003 – 2007 (Research Fellow): University of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
2007 – present (Senior Lecturer): University of South Wales, United Kingdom
Module leadership: Thermodynamics, Combustion and Heat Transfer, Industrial Heating Processes.
Final year project supervisor: BEng, MSc.
Principal investigators, PhD supervision, line-manage post doctoral research assistant/fellow
1. Chapter 11 – The application of artificial intelligence techniques in combustion systems. In: Artificial Intelligence in Energy and Renewable Energy Systems (ed. Soteris Kalogirou, ISBN 1-60021-261-1), 2006, New York, Nova Science Publishers Inc.
1. Y. Hu, J. Wang, CK Tan, C. Sun, H. Liu., “Further improvement of fluidized bed models by incorporating zone method with Aspen Plus interface”, Energy Procedia, 105: 1895-1901, 2017
2. Yukun Hu, CK Tan, Jonathan Broughton, Paul Alun Roach, “Development of a first-principles hybrid model for large-scale reheating furnaces”, Applied Energy 173: 555–566, 2016.
3. Yukun Hu, CK Tan, Jonathan Broughton, Edward McGee, Alexander Matthew, Paul Alun Roach, “Development of transient mathematical models for a large-scale reheating furnace using hybrid zone-CFD methods”, Energy Procedia, 75: 3076-3082, 2015.
4. M. Akram, C.K Tan, R. Garwood, S.M Thai, “Vinasse – a potential biofuel – Cofiring with Coal in a Fluidised bed combustor”, Fuel, 158: 1006-1015, 2015.
5. M. Akram, C.K. Tan, D.R. Garwood, M. Fisher, D.R. Gent, W.G. Kaye, “Co-firing of pressed sugar beet pulp with coal in a laboratory-scale fluidised bed combustor”, Applied Energy, 139: 1-8, 2015.
6. A. D. Matthew, C. K. Tan, P. A. Roach, J. Ward, J. Broughton, A. Heeley, “Calculation of the Radiative Heat-Exchange Areas in a Large-Scale Furnace with the Use of the Monte Carlo Method”, Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics, 87(3): 732-742, 2014.
7. S.M. Thai, S.J. Wilcox, C.K. Tan, A.Z.S. Chong, J. Ward, G. Andrews, “Monitoring Regenerative Steel Reheating Burners using an Intelligent Flame Diagnostic System”, Journal of the Energy Institute, 87(1): 48-58, 2014.
8. M. Akram, R. Garwood, CK Tan, “The Effect of Fuel Characteristics and operating conditions on NOx Emissions during Fluidized Bed Combustion of High Moisture Biomass with Coal”, Journal of the Energy Institute, 86(3): 177-186, 2013.
9. N.C. Hii, C.K. Tan, S.J. Wilcox, Z.S. Chong, “An Investigation of the Generation of Acoustic Emission from the Flow of Particulate Solids in Pipelines”, Powder Technology, 243: 120-129, 2013.
10. C K Tan, J. Jenkins, J. Ward, J. Broughton, A. Heeley, “Zone modelling of the thermal performances of a large-scale bloom reheating furnace, Applied Thermal Engineering, 50(1): 1111-1118, 2013.
11. Bizuayehu Y. Mohammed, C.K Tan, Steven J. Wilcox, Alex Z.S. Chong, “Damage Characterisation of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Composite Plate Using Acoustic Emission”, Key Engineering Materials, 558: 184-194, 2013.
12. S.M. Thai, S.J. Wilcox, C.K. Tan, J. Ward, G. Andrews, “Development of an Intelligent Flame Monitoring System for Steel Reheating Burners”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A, Journal of Power and Energy, 226(8): 1014-1031, 2012.
13. C K Tan, J. Ward, S.J. Wilcox, and R. Payne, “Artificial Neural Network Modelling of the Thermal Performance of a Compact Heat Exchanger”, Applied Thermal Engineering, 29(17-18): 3609-3617, 2009.
14. O. H. Tan, S. J. Wilcox, G. C. Premier, C K Tan and J. Ward, “Monitoring Pulverised Coal Flames”, Journal of the Energy Institute, 80(3): 131-139, 2007.
15. C K Tan, S.J. Wilcox and J. Ward, J. “The Use of Artificial Intelligence Techniques for the Optimisation of Co-Combustion of Coal with Biomass”, Journal of the Energy Institute, 79(1): 1-7, 2006.
16. C K Tan, S. Kakietek, S.J. Wilcox, and J. Ward, “Constrained Optimisation of Pulverised Coal Fired Boilers Using Genetic Algorithms and Artificial Neural Networks”, International Journal of Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM), 9(3): 39-46, 2006.
17. C K Tan, S. Kakietek, S.J. Wilcox, J. Ward, T. Golec and J. Szymczak, “A Novel System for Predicting the Slagging Behaviour of Fuel Blends in large Scale Utility Boiler”, Journal of the Energy Institute, 79(4): 251-256, 2006.
18. C K Tan., S.J. Wilcox, J. Ward and M. Lewitt, M., “An Intelligent Monitoring System for the Detection of Slag Deposition on Pulverized Coal Fired Burner”, Proc. IMechE Part A Journal of Power and Energy, 219(5): 383-394, 2005.
19. C K Tan, S J Wilcox, J Ward, & M Lewitt, “Monitoring Near Burner Slag Deposition with a Hybrid Neural Network System”, Measurement Science and Technology, 14(1): 1-9, 2003.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
1. Yukun Hu, CK Tan, Jonathan Broughton, Edward McGee, Alexander Matthew, Paul Alun Roach, “Development of transient mathematical models for a large-scale reheating furnace using hybrid zone-CFD methods”, The 7th International Conference on Applied Energy, March 28 – 31, 2015, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 7pages.
2. M. Akram, C. K. Tan, R. Garwood, S.M. Thai, “Vinasse – a potential biofuel, co-firing with coal in a fluidised bed”, 10th ECCRIA – European Conference on Coal Research and its Applications, September 15-17, University of Hull, United kingdom, 2014.
3. J.B. Ramos, A.Z. Chong, C.K Tan, J. Matthews, M.A. Boocock, H. Jouhara, “Experimental Analysis of gas to water two phase closed thermosyphon based heat exchanger”, The 10th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics, 14 – 16 July, Florida, USA, 2014.
4. J.B. Ramos, A.Z. Chong, C.K Tan, J. Matthews, M.A. Boocock, H. Jouhara, “Simulation and Analysis of gas to water two phase closed thermosyphon heat exchanger”, 13th International Conference on Simulation and Experiments in Heat and Mass Transfer, July 24, A Coruna, Spain, 217-227, 2014.
5. Hu, Yukun; Niska, John; Broughton, Jonathan; McGee, Edward; Tan, C.K; Matthew, Alexander; Roach, Paul, “Zone modelling coupled with dynamic flow pattern for the prediction of transient performance of metal reheating”, Proceedings of the Iron and Steel Technology Conference, May 5-8, 2014, Indianapolis, IN, United states, 3395-3408, 2014.
6. Valliappan, P.; Thai, S.M.; Wilcox, S.J.1; Ward, J.1; Tan, C.K.; Jagieło, K., “Detecting burner instabilities using joint-time frequency methods whilst co-firing coal and biomass”, ASME/JSME 8th Thermal Engineering Joint Conference, March 13-17, 2011, Honolulu, HI, United states, 6 pages.
7. C K Tan, John Ward, Joanna E. Jenkins, Jonathan Broughton, “An Improved Mathematical Model to Predict the Real Time Transient Performance of a Large Steel Reheating Furnace”, Proc. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, November 11-17,Denver, Colorado, USA. Paper IMECE2011-636912011, 11 pages, 2011.
8. C K Tan, R J Tucker, J Ward, “Development of a Spectral Radiation Model to Predict the Performance of Furnaces”, Proc. 9th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers, April 26-29, Estoril-Lisbon, Portugal, 2011.
9. Joanna E. Jenkins, C K Tan, John Ward, Jonathan Broughton, “Development of a three-dimensional mathematical model for real-time simulation of continuous reheating furnace operations”, Proc. AISTech The Iron and Steel Technology Conference and Exposition, May 2-5, 2011, Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis, USA, 341-351.
10. J. Ward, C K Tan, and R .J Tucker, “Development of a Spectral Radiation Model to Predict the Transient Performance of a Metal Reheating Furnace”, Proc. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 13-19, 2009, Lake Buena Vista, Florida , United States, 427-432.
11. H.S. Chong, C K Tan, S.J. Wilcox, S.M. Thai, J. Ward, G. Andrews, “Development of an intelligent flame monitoring system for gas-fired steel reheating furnaces”, Proc. 5th European Thermal-Sciences Conference, 18-22 May, Eindhoven, the Netherlands, 2008.
12. S.M. Thai, H.C. Chong, C K Tan, S.J. Wilcox, J. Ward, and G. Andrews, “Monitoring and Diagnosis of Steel Reheating Burners”, Proc. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Boston, MA. 31st Oct – 6th Nov., v3: 409-416, 2008.
13. J Ward, C K Tan, Z S Chong, & S J Wilcox, “The Application of Artificial Intelligence in Combustion Engineering”, Keynote Lecture, Proc. 7th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers, Oporto, Portugal, 16 pp., April, 2006.
14. N.C Hii, C K Tan, A.Z.S. Chong, S.J. Wilcox and J. Ward, “The measurement of pulverised fuel flows by high frequency acoustic emission techniques”, Proc. 7th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers, 18-21 April, Porto, Hotel Tuela, Portugal, Paper-73, 2006.
15. C K Tan, J. Ward, S.J. Wilcox and R. Payne, “Representation of the performance of a fin tube heat exchanger by artificial neural networks”, Proc. 13th International Heat Transfer Conference, 13 – 18 August, 2006, Sydney, Australia, Paper HEX-05, 2006. (ISBN 1-56700-226-9)
16. N C Hii, S J Wilcox, C K Tan, Z S Chong, J Ward, “The use of flame imaging techniques to monitor pulverised coal flames using artificial intelligence techniques”, Proc. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 5-11, Orlando, Florida USA, Paper IMECE2005-80899, 6 pages, 2005.
17. N C Hii, S J Wilcox, Z S Chong, J Ward, C K Tan, “The application of acoustic emission to monitor pulverised fuel flows”, Proc. ASME International Mech. Eng Congress, November 5-11, 2005, Orlando, Florida, USA, 245-250.
18. C K Tan and S. Kakietek, ”Optymalizacja rozplywow powietrza wtornego z wykorzystaniem metod sztucznej inteligencji na przykladzie kotla OP-650 w celu minimalizacji emisji NOx, CO oraz niedopalu”, Kontrola, sterowanie i automatyzacja procesu spalania w kotłach energetycznych, Zakopane, 23-25 May, 2005, Poland, 2005. (ISBN: 83-922258-0-5).
19. C.K Tan, S.J Wilcox, & J Ward, “Development of a Monitoring System for Near Burner Slag Formation” Proc. ASME International Mech. Eng Congress, November 17-22, 2002, New Orleans, USA, 63-69.
20. J Ward, S.J Wilcox, O.H Tan, C K Tan, R.J. Payne, D.R Garwood, “Simulation of a Range of Thermal Systems by Artificial Neural Networks”, Proc. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 11–16, 2001, New York, NY, USA, 3-9.
21. S.J Wilcox, J Ward, C.K Tan, O.H Tan, & R.J. Payne, “The Application of Neural Networks in a Range of Combustion Systems”, Proc. 6th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers, April 02-05, 2001, Estoril-Lisbon, Portugal, 203-214.
1. Member of the Energy Institute (Chartered Energy Engineer).
2. Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers.
3. Member of the International Association of Engineers.
1. Technical committee, International Conference of Mechanical Engineering, World Congress on Engineering, organized by the International Association of Engineers .
2. Session co-organiser/chair – 2011 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition (Furnace and Powerplant Simulations)
1. Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation of M-series Condensing Heat Exchanger. Caradon Ideal, 2006.
1. Combustion and heat transfer in high temperature furnaces and boilers, energy equipments and processes (mathematical modelling, condition monitoring and diagnostics).
2. Applications of Computational Fluid Dynamics and Artificial Intelligence to combustion and energy related problems.
Past and Current Research Projects
1. EU FP7 (RELCOM). Reliable and Efficient Combustion of Oxygen/Coal/Recycled Flue Gas Mixtures, in collaboration with 12 academic and industrial partners (2011)
2. EU FP7 (CRAFTEM). Carbon Reduction by Auxiliary Firing TEchniques for glass Melter, in collaboration with GDF SUEZ, Owens Illinois Europe, Sise Cam and Global Combustion Systems Ltd (2011).
3. EPSRC Industrial CASE. Development of improved mathematical models for Continuously Operated Steel Reheating Furnaces, in collaboration with Tata Steel UK (2010).
4. URIS internal fund. Development of spectral zone model for radiation analysis in furnaces (2008).
5. Research Fund for Coal & Steel (RFCS). Intelligent Monitoring and Control of Large Burners Fired by Pulverised Coal and Coal/Biomass Blends (SMARTBURN), in collaboration with Universidad de Zaragoza, Union Fenosa, IEN Poland, INDRA Sistemas Spain (2008).
6. EPSRC CASE for New Academics. Development of improved mathematical models for Furnace Control and Operation, in collaboration with Corus UK (2007).
7. HYPERG project, funded by EB Nationwide Ltd through WERC. Modelling and Characterisation of the Pyrolysis of Secondary Refuse Fuel Briquettes, in collaboration with Progressive Energy and Cardiff University ( 2005).
8. Research Fund for Coal & Steel (RFCS). Real–time Intelligent Diagnostics and Optimisation of Reheating Furnace Performance (SMARTFIRE), in collaboration with Corus UK, MEFOS Sweden, BFI Germany and Aceralia-Grupo Arcelor (2005).
9. The Carbon Trust. Development of Flameless Glass Melting, in collaboration with Gaz de France and Global Combustion Ltd., (2005).
10. ERC internal fund. An investigation of the generation of Acoustic Emission from the flow of particulate solids in pipelines (2003).
11. EU FP5 (POWERFLAM2). Studies of Fuel Blend Properties in Boilers and Simulation Rigs to increase Biomass and Bio-Waste Materials used for Co-firing in Pulverised Coal Boilers (2003)
12. ECSC research fund. Development of an Expert System for the Monitoring of Slagging and Fouling in pf Boiler (2000)
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.