Mehedi Hassan known as Mehedi
Research Student for Doctoral Degree (PhD)
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Electrical Engineering
- Research interest
- Biological data mining,
- Database designing for evolutionary & population genomics,
- High-performance computing and distributed Systems for functional genomics
- View my profiles on other social media sites:
|Oct 2010 – Present||Graduate Research Assistant||Genomics & Computational Biology Research Group, University of South Wales, UK|
|Sept 2009- Oct 2010||IT Support Advisor||LCSS, University of Glamorgan, UK|
|Aug 2008 – Aug 2009||UG Electrical Control & Instrumentation Engineer||Fellside CHP Plant, Sellafield, England|
|Mental Health First Aid||Sept, 2012||MHFA Wales|
|HPC Awareness for Genomics||Nov, 2011||HPC Wales & Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Ltd.|
|Parallel Programming||Nov, 2011||Intel & ARCCA, Cardiff University|
|Supercomputing Surgery||Oct, 2011||ARCCA, Cardiff University|
|Introduction to Merlin||July, 2011||ARCCA, Cardiff University|
|Use of UNIX CLI||June, 2011||ARCCA, Cardiff University|
- Lecturer, Mathematics For Engineers (2014/15)
- System administrator for GlaComBio web server.
- Senior Resident Tutor at University of South Wales Halls of Residence
- Tatiana Tatarinova,Alona Kryshchenko,Martin Triska,Mehedi Hassan,Denis Murphy, Michael Neely, Alan Schumitzky, NPEST: a nonparametric method and a database for transcription start site prediction on Qunatitative Biology by Springer
- Sonkin, D., Hassan, M., Murphy, D.J., Tatarinova, T.V., Tumor Suppressors Status in Cancer Cell Line Encyclopedia, Molecular Oncology (Volume 7, Issue 4, August 2013, Pages 791–798)
- Gaurav Sablok, Álvaro L Pérez-Quintero, Mehedi Hassan, Tatiana V. Tatarinova, Camilo López (2011) Artificial microRNAs (amiRNAs) engineering – On how microRNA-based silencing methods have affected current plant silencing research. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications Volume 406, Issue 3, 18 March 2011, Pages 315-319
- Mehedi Hassan, Dmitry Sonkin, Denis Murphy, Tatiana Tatarinova (2013), Database of Tumor Suppressor Gene Status, Presented at the 21st Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology & 12th European Conference on Computational Biology, 2013, Berlin, Germany
- Mehedi Hassan, Eran Elhaik, Tatiana Tatarinova (2013), An Application for Geographic Population Structure Prediction; Presented at the The 9th ISCB Student council Symposium, July 19, 2013, Berlin.
- Mehedi Hassan, Farzana Rahman, Gaurav Sablok, Tatiana V. Tatarinova (2011) Development of Versatile Database for Biodiversity Conservation; Poster on 19th Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology and 10th European Conference on Computational Biology 2011.
- The International Society for Computational Biology
- The British Computer Society
- The IEEE Computer Society
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology
- External Marker – The School of Physics and Astronomy, Cardiff University
- Reviewer of PLOS One journal published by The Public Library of Science
- President, Regional Students Group of International Society of Computational Biology’s Student Council.
- Application of HMM to delineate evolutionary biology among plants and animals.
- Bio-informatics of Oil Palm genome
- Evolutionary study of microbial genomes
- Security of Bioinformatics Web Applications
- Welsh Crucible funded project to develop a Public Engagement Suite for Molecular Biology and Genomic Education targeted to young pupils.
Areas of Expertise
- Bioinformatics Web Application
- MVC Applications
- Data Modelling and Database Designing (SQL and noSQL)
- Public Engagement in Molecular Biology
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.