Dr Gareth Roderique-Davies
BSc. (Hons.) (Swansea); PhD. (Swansea); CPsychol, AFBPsS, HCPC Registered Psychologist reg number PYL20757 (opens new window).
- Heirene, R. M., John, B., & Roderique-Davies, G. (2018). Identification and Evaluation of Neuropsychological Tools Used in the Assessment of Alcohol-Related Cognitive Impairment: A Systematic Review. Frontiers in Psychology. 9:2618. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02618
- Roderique-Davies, G., Davies, N., Jones, S., Leeworthy, S. & John, B (2018). Investigating the Potential Impact of Changing Alcohol Product Labels. Alcohol Research UK , Alcohol Insight 154. Report Here (opens new window)
- John, B., & Roderique-Davies, G. (2018). An investigation into the co-morbidity of harmful drinking and gambling behaviour in a general population. Alcohol Concern Cymru.
- Roderique-Davies, G., Heirene, R. M., Mellalieu, S., & Shearer, D. (2018). Development and initial validation of a rock climbing craving questionnaire (RCCQ). Frontiers in Psychology, 9:204. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00204
- John, B., Holloway, K., Davies, N., May, T., Buhociu, M. & Roderique-Davies, G. (2017) An Investigation of the social impact of problem gambling in Wales. Welsh Assembly Members Consortium / USW. Report Here (download)
- Roderique-Davies, G. & John, B. (2017) Investigating the potential impact of changing health messages on alcohol products. Alcohol Concern Cymru.
- John, B. & Roderique-Davies, G. (2017). An investigation into the comorbidity of harmful drinking and gambling behaviour. Alcohol Concern Cymru.
- Angelakis, I., Austin, J. L., Slater, C., & Roderique-Davies, G. (2017). Experiencing adverse social relationships: The development and validation of a self-report scale that measures individuals’ histories of social punishment (HoSP). Journal of Psychopathology & Behavioral Assessment. Online First. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10862-017-9641-7
- Shearer, D. A., Roderique-Davies, G.M., Short, S., & Bruton, A. (2017). The effects of sleep quality on imagery ability in athletic populations. Imagination, Cognition and Personality. Online first. DOI: 10.1177/0276236617734537
- Emmerson, C., John, B., Faulkner, S., Lancastle, D. & Roderique-Davies, G. (2017). The effectiveness of brief information and self-efficacy based interventions in influencing snack choices in homeless individuals. Frontiers in Public Health, 5:293. DOI: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00293
- Tee, D., Shearer, D., & Roderique-Davies, G. (2017). The client as active ingredient: ‘Core Self Evaluations’ as predictors of coaching outcome variance. International Coaching Psychology Review, 12(2), 57-64.
- Heirene, R., Shearer, D., Mellalieu, S. & Roderique-Davies, G. (2016). Response to “Nature Fix: Addiction to Outdoor Activities” R Buckley’s commentary on Heirene, R., Shearer, D., Roderique-Davies, G., & Mellalieu, S. (2016). Addiction in extreme sports: An exploration of withdrawal states in rock climbers. Journal of Behavioural Addictions, 55(4), 559-561. DOI: 10.1556/2006.5.2016.087
- Roderique-Davies, G., McKnight, C., John, B., Faulkner, S. & Lancastle, D. (2016) Models of health behaviour predict intention to use long-acting reversible contraception. Women’s Health, 12(6), 507-512. DOI: 10.1177/1745505716678231.
- Heirene, R., Roderique-Davies, G., Roberts, P. & John, B (2016) Identification and Evaluation of Neuropsychological Tools Used in the Assessment of Alcohol-Related Brain Damage: A Systematic Review Protocol. Cogent Psychology, 3(1), 1229841. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2016.1229841
- Heirene, R., Shearer, D., Roderique-Davies, G. & Mellalieu, S. (2016) Addiction in Extreme Sports: An Exploration of Withdrawal States in Rock Climbers. Journal of Behavioral Addictions, 5(2): 332-341. DOI: 10.1556/2006.5.2016.039
- Prince, J., Austin, J., McInnes, K., Shewring, L., Birdsey, N. & Roderique-Davies, G. (2014). Attitudes to parenting practices and child discipline. Welsh Government. Report Here (opens new window)
- Taylor R, Evans J, Stuart-Hamilton I, Pierpoint H & Roderique-Davies G (2013). Speech, Language and Communication Needs Research Project for Young People from Wales in the Youth Justice System. Youth Justice Board.
- Bruton, A., Shearer, D.A., Mellalieu, S.D., Hall, R.J., & Roderique-Davies, G. M. (2013). Performance Accomplishment Information as Predictors of Self-Efficacy as a Function of Skill Level in Amateur Golf. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 25(2): 197-208. DOI: 10.1080/10413200.2012.705802
- Hall, G., Shearer, D., Thomson, R., Roderique-Davies, G., Mayer, P. & Hall, R (2012) Conceptualising commitment: A thematic analysis of fans of Welsh rugby. Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise, 4 (1): 138–153. DOI: 10.1080/2159676X.2011.653500
- Semedo, L., John, B., Roderique-Davies, G., Speck, L., Gray, M. & Devalia, V. (2012) The demographic profile of patients receiving regular cobalamin (B12) therapy in a local general practice surgery. British Journal of Haematology, 157 (suppl 1), 23. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2012.09071.x
- Humphreys, N.K., Hendry, L.B., John, B., Roderique-Davies, G. & Faulkner, S. (2011) “I’ve never been much of a risk-taker at all…” Exploring the social meaning of smoking in a small group of well-educated women. Journal of Substance Use, 15(6): 381–391. DOI: 10.3109/14659891.2010.495443
- Roderique-Davies, G. & Shearer, D. (2010) Estimated lifetime drug use, impulsivity and psychopathology in recreational ecstasy users. Journal of Substance Use, 15: 215-225. DOI: 10.3109/14659890903271616
- Roderique-Davies, G. (2010) Neuro-linguistic programming has no basis in neuroscience.Nursing Standard. 24, 33, 33-33. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns.24.33.33.s46
- Shearer, D.A., Mellalieu, S., Shearer, C. & Roderique-Davies, G. (2009). The Effects of a Video-Aided Imagery Intervention upon Collective Efficacy in an International Paralympic Wheelchair Basketball Team. Journal of Imagery Research in Sport and Physical Activity. Vol. 4 : Iss. 1, Article 1. DOI: 10.2202/1932-0191.1039
- Roderique-Davies, G. (2009). Neuro-Linguistic Programming: Cargo Cult Psychology? Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 1 (2): 57-63. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17581184200900014
- Roderique-Davies G, (2008). Cigarette Craving: Exploring the Enigma. In Landow JE (Ed) Smoking Cessation: Theory, Interventions and Prevention. Nova Science Publishers, New York. (ISBN: 1-60021-591-2)
- West, O and Roderique-Davies, G (2008). Development and initial validation of a caffeine craving questionnaire. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 22(1): 80-91. DOI: 10.1177/0269881107082746
- Roderique-Davies G, Mayer P, Hall R, Shearer D, Thomson R & Hall G (2008) New teams, old enemies? A study of social identification in Welsh rugby supporters. Contemporary Wales, 21: 187-206.
- Roderique-Davies, G. & Shearer, D. (2007) . The key features of effective drug, alcohol and tobacco education: The absence of Craving. Psychology of Education Review, 31(2), 21-29.
- James, D., Davies, G., & Willner, P. (2004) The development and initial validation of a questionnaire to measure craving for amphetamine. Addiction, 99, 1181-1188. DOI: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00819.x
- Davies, G. M., Willner, P., James, D., & Morgan, M. (2004) Influence of nicotine gum on acute cravings for cigarettes. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 18, 83-87. DOI: 10.1177/0269881104040240
- Davies, G., Morgan, M., & Willner, P. (2000) Smoking-related cues elicit craving in tobacco chippers: a replication and validation of the two-factor structure of the Questionnaire of Smoking Urges. Psychopharmacology, 152, 334-342. DOI: 10.1007/s002130000526
- Morgan, M. J., Davies, G. M., & Willner, P. (1999) The Questionnaire of Smoking Urges is sensitive to abstinence and exposure to smoking-related cues. Behavioural Pharmacology, 10, 619-626. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00008877-199911000-00008
- Willner, P., Benton, D., Brown, E., Cheeta, S., Davies, G. et al. (1998) Depression increases craving for sweet rewards in animal and human models of depression and craving. Psychopharmacology, 136, 272-283. DOI: 10.1007/s002130050566
- Pincock, C., Davies, G. & Wesnes, K (1997). The effects of training on the quality of performance on computerized cognitive tasks. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 11(3_suppl), A57 DOI:10.1177/0269881197011003011
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society.
- Invited observer – Cross Party Group on Gambling Harm (Welsh Government)
- Substance Misuse Treatment Framework for alcohol-related brain damage (ARBD) Project Board (Public Health Wales / Welsh Government)
- Stage II Assessor, BPS qualification in Health Psychology
- Psychologist Visitor with the Health and Care Professions Council
- Non Executive Director of Pobl Group (2010-2017) (Care and Support board) Visit Pobl Group Website (opens new window).
- 2nd best drummer and top 3 bass player in legendary lecturers’ rock combo “Zimbando” Visit Zimbando’s Website and Rock! (opens new window).
Taylor R, Evans J, Stuart-Hamilton I, Pierpoint H & Roderique-Davies G. Youth Justice Board. Speech, Language and Communication Needs Research Project for Young People from Wales in the Youth Justice System; £22,000; July – October 2013.
Roderique-Davies G, Prince J, Austin J, McInnes K, Shewring L & Birdsey N. Welsh Government. Attitudes to parenting practices and child discipline; £22,000; April – September 2013. Report Here (opens new window)
Addiction; Long-term psychological consequences of drug use; Health Psychology.
Currently undertaking a 3-year Research Fellowship
Current Research Activity:
ADDICTIONS RESEARCH GROUP
Current Addictions Research Group projects are loosely grouped within 3 main research programmes. These reflect the progression, development and potential impact for the medium/longer term.
Diagnosis and treatment
• Prevalence of and diagnosis of Alcohol-Related Brain Damage
• Factors Predicting Relapse and Drop out from substance-related care and support services
Models of harm reduction
• Developing a public health model for reducing current and future gambling-related harm
• The use of apps as an intervention for problematic drinking.
• Factors that predict consumers’ alcoholic drink choices
Extreme sports and behavioural addiction
• Understanding Craving from a behavioural addiction perspective
• Sport as a conduit for rehabilitation of substance misusers
Doctoral Students – Awarded
Stuart Jones: The Emotional Responses following Injury in Recreational Athletes: The Development of the Emotional Response to Rugby Union Injury Scale (with Prof Bev John). Awarded 2014
Sonja Garrett: Psychological resilience and its correlates in people with chronic pain living in the UK. (DPsych, City University). Awarded 2014
Mirella Longo: Managing minor ailments: A Discrete Choice Experiment to investigate pharmacy users’ preferences (with Prof David Cohen). Awarded 2012
Doctoral Students – Current
David Tee: Client characteristics that influence business performance coaching efficacy: the development of a theoretical framework and predictive psychometric instrument (with Prof David Shearer).
Laura Drummond: Developing an App-based Self-help Intervention to Reduce Alcohol Consumption (DOS with Prof Bev John and Prof Neil Frude)
Rob Heirene: Alcohol-related brain damage in Wales: An investigation of prevalence and the evaluation of a pilot supported housing project intervention. (DOS with Prof Bev John and Dr Ioannis Angelakis)
Marie O’Hanrahan: Factors predicting relapse and drop out from substance-related care and support services (DOS with Prof Bev John and Prof David Shearer)
Victoria Markham: Evaluating Barriers to Skill Acquisition for Children with Language Delays Receiving Behaviour Analytic Instruction: An Experimental Analysis (with Dr Richard May and Dr Jenn Austin)
Tom Young: Identifying the Behavioral and Psychophysiological Indicators of Mentally Tough Athletes (with Prof Richard Mullen and Prof David Shearer)
Kantz Misra: The role of self-efficacy in the central coaching relationship (DOS with Dr Martin Graff)
Marie Edwards: Factors influencing coaching efficacy: A study of the critical factors which impact on the effectiveness of formal coaching interventions (DOS with Dr Martin Graff)
Nyle Davies: The social impact of gambling harm: screening and intervention (with Prof Bev John and Dr Tom May)
Jamie Torrance: Development of harm reduction interventions for bespoke risk environments in the changing landscape of gambling and gaming (with Prof Bev John)
Mike Gross: Psychological interventions for physical recovery from acute exercise induced fatigue (with Prof David Shearer)
Shearer, D. & Roderique-Davies, G. Welsh Government/European Social Fund KESS Maxi funding. Psychological interventions for physical recovery from acute exercise induced fatigue. £54,000 (January 2019)
Roderique-Davies, G. & John, B. Welsh Government/European Social Fund KESS Maxi funding. Factors predicting relapse and drop out from substance-related care and support services. £54,000 (April 2017)
John, B., Roderique-Davies, G. & Holloway K. An Investigation of the Social Impact of Problem Gambling in Wales. Welsh Assembly Members Consortium. £17,500 (March 2017)
John, B. & Roderique-Davies, G. Alcohol Concern. Investigating the potential health impact of changing alcohol beverage public health messages. £8,000. (January 2017)
Roderique-Davies, G & John, B. Welsh Government/European Social Fund KESS Maxi funding. Alcohol-related brain damage in Wales: An investigation of prevalence and the evaluation of a pilot supported housing project intervention. £54,000 (April 2016)
John, B & Roderique-Davies, G. USW Science & Health Research Institute funding. The development and evaluation of a screening tool for alcohol-related brain damage; £10,000 (March 2015).
Roderique-Davies, G., Taylor, R. & Mayer, P. National Science Academy award scheme: Thinking and Understanding: Scientific Reasoning in Everyday Life; £2830; January – March 2011
John, B, Roderique-Davies, G & Faulkner, S. Psychological factors influencing men’s diet, exercise and responses to health messages UoG Faculty QR Funding £15,000 (2011)
Thomson R, Davies G, Mayer P, Shearer D, Hall R & Hendry L. Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC): Changing boundaries and changing identities in rugby supporters; £47,443; November 2003 – October 2006.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.