David Shearer known as David
BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science (Manchester Met)
MSc Sport Psychology (Manchester Met)
PhD (Swansea University)
My research focusses on group dynamics, extreme sports, and readiness to train and compete in elite athlete. I am a BPS Chartered and HPC registered Sport Psychologist and regularly consult with Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
Sport, Exercise and Health Cognate Group co-lead
Faculty Research Programmes Committee
1. Heirene, R., Shearer, D. A., Mellalieu, S. D., & Roderique-Davies, G. D. (In press). Response to “Nature Fix: Addiction to Outdoor Activities”. Journal of Behavioural Addictions.
2. Cunningham, D. J., Shearer, D. A., Drawer, S., Pollard, B., Eager, R., Taylor, N., Cook, C. J., & Kilduff, L. (in press). Movement demands of elite Under-20s and senior international Rugby Union players. PLoS ONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0164990
3. Shearer, D. A., Sparkes, W., Northeast, J., Cunningham, D. J., Cook, C. J., & Kilduff, L. (in press). Measuring recovery: An adapted brief assessment of mood (BAM) compared to biochemical and power output alterations. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport
4. Cunningham D., Shearer, D. A., Drawer, S., Eager, R., Taylor, N., Cook, C., & Kilduff, L. K. (2016). Movement demands of elite U20 international rugby union players. PLOS ONE, 11(4): e0153275. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0153275
5. Heirene, R., Roderique-Davies, G. M., Mellalieu, S. D., & Shearer D. A. (2016). Addiction in extreme sports: An exploration of withdrawal states in rock climbers. Journal of Behavioural Addictions. Ahead of print, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1556/2006.5.2016.039
6. Bruton, A., Shearer, D. A., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2016). Observation as a Method to Enhance Collective Efficacy: An Integrative Review. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 24, 1-8. doi:10.1016/j.psychsport.2016.01.002
7. Gross, M., Shearer, D. A., Hall, R. J., Bringer, J. D., Cook, C. J., & Kilduff, L. P. (2016). Abbreviated resonant frequency training to augment heart rate variability and enhance on-demand emotional regulation in elite sport support staff. Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, first online, 1-12. DOI:10.1007/s10484-015-9330-9
8. Kilduff, L, P., Cook, C. J., & Shearer, D. A., (2015). Editorial: Special Issue: Science and Rugby. European Journal of Sport Science, 15, 459. DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2015.1062259
9. Shearer, D. A., Jones, R. M., Kilduff, L. K. & Cook, C. J. (2015). Effects of competition on the sleep patterns of elite rugby union players. European Journal of Sport Sciences, 15, 681-686. DOI:10.1080/17461391.2015.1053419
10. Shearer, D. A., Kilduff, L. P., Finn, C., Jones, M. R., Bracken, R. M., Mellalieu, S. D., Owen, N., Crewther, B., & Cook, C. J. (2015). Measuring recovery in elite rugby players: The Brief Assessment of Mood, endocrine changes and power. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 86, 379-386. DOI:10.1080/02701367.2015.1066927
11. Shearer, D. A. (2015). Collective efficacy at the Rugby World Cup 2015 – The Role of Imagery and Observation. European Journal of Sport Sciences, 15, 530-535. DOI:10.1080/17461391.2015.1034787
12. Bruton, A., Shearer, D. A., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2015). Validation of a single-item stem for collective efficacy measurement in sports teams. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. DOI:10.1080/1612197X.2015.1054853
13. Russell, M., Sparkes, W., Northeast, J., Atkinson, G., Cook, C., Shearer, D. A., & Kilduff, L. (2015). The between-match variability of peak power output and Creatine Kinase responses to soccer match-play. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 29, 2079-85. DOI:10.1519/JSC.0000000000000852
14. Jones, M. R., West, D.J., Harrington, B., Cook, C., Bracken, R., Shearer, D. A., & Kilduff, L. (2014). Match play performance characteristics that predict post-match creatine kinase responses in professional rugby union players. BMC sports science, medicine and rehabilitation, 6 (1), 1. doi: 10.1186/2052-1847-6-38
15. Bruton, A., Mellalieu, S. D., & Shearer, D. A. (2014). Observation interventions as a means to manipulate collective efficacy in groups. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 36, 27-39. DOI:10.1123/jsep.2013-0058
16. West, D. J., Finn, C., Cunningham, D. J., Shearer, D. A., Jones, M. R., Harrington, B., Crewther, B. T., Cook, C. J., & Kilduff, L. (2014). The neuromuscular function, hormonal, and mood responses to a professional rugby union match. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 28, 194-200. DOI:10.1519/JSC.0b013e318291b726
17. Cunningham, D. J., West, D. J., Owen, N. J., Shearer, D. A., Finn, C. V., Bracken, R. M., Crewther, B. T., Scott, P., Cook, C.J., & Kilduff, L. (2013). Strength and power predictors of sprinting performance in professional rugby players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 53, 105-111.
18. Bruton, A., Shearer, D. A., Mellalieu, S.D., Hall, R. & Roderique-Davies, G. M., (2013). Performance Accomplishment Information Types as Predictors of Self-Efficacy in Competitive Golf Performance for both Skilled and Non-skilled Amateur Golfers. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 25, 197-208. DOI: 10.1080/10413200.2012.705802
19. Mellalieu, S. D., Shearer, D. A., & Shearer, C. R., (2013). A preliminary survey of interpersonal conflict at major games and championships. The Sport Psychologist, 27, 120-129.
20. Hall, G. A., Shearer, D. A., Roderique-Davies, G. M, Mayer, P., & Hall, R. (2012). Conceptualising commitment: A thematic analysis of fans of Welsh rugby. Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise, 4, 138-153. DOI:10.1080/2159676X.2011.653500
21. West D. J., Owen, N. J., Jones, M. R., Bracken, R., Cook, C. J., Cunningham, D. J., Shearer, D. A., Finn, C. V., Newton, R. U., & Kilduff, L. P. (2011). Relationships between force-time characteristics of the isometric mid-thigh pull and dynamic performance in professional rugby league players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25, 3070-3075. DOI:10.1519/JSC.0b013e318212dcd5
22. Shearer, D. A., & Mellalieu, S. D., & Shearer, C. R. (2011). Sport psychology support to an athlete undergoing treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A case study. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 5, 134-147.
23. Roderique-Davies, G. M., & Shearer, D. A. (2010). Estimated lifetime drug use, impulsivity and psychopathology in recreational ecstasy users. Journal of Substance Use, 15, 215-225. DOI : 10.3109/14659890903271616
24. Shearer, D. A., Holmes. P. S., & Mellalieu, S. D. (2009). Collective efficacy in sport: The future from a social neuroscience perspective. International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 2, 38-53. DOI: 10.1080/17509840802695816
25. Shearer, D. A., Mellalieu, S. D., & Shearer, C. R., & Roderique-Davies, G. M. (2009). The effects of an imagery training program upon perceptions of collective efficacy of an elite wheelchair basketball team: a multiple baseline group case study. Journal of Imagery Research in Sport and Physical Activity, 4 (1), article 2. DOI: 10.2202/1932-0191.1039
26. Mellalieu, S. D., Hanton, S., & Shearer, D. A. (2008). Hearts in the fire, heads in the fridge: A qualitative investigation into the temporal patterning of the precompetitive psychological response in elite performers. Journal of Sport Sciences, 26, 811-824. DOI:10.1080/02640410701790787
27. Roderique-Davies, G. M., Mayer P., Hall R., Shearer, D. A., Thomson R., & Hall, G. (2008). New teams, old enemies? A study of social identification in Welsh rugby supporters. Contemporary Wales, 21, 187-206.
28. Shearer, D. A., Mellalieu, S. D., Thomson, R., & Shearer, C. R. (2008). The effects of an imagery intervention with motivational general mastery content upon collective efficacy perceptions for a novel team task. Imagination, Cognition, and Personality, 27, 293-311. DOI: 10.2190/IC.27.4.b
29. Taylor, J. B., Mellalieu, S. D., James, N. J., & Shearer, D. A. (2008). The influence of match location, quality of opposition, and match status on technical performance in professional association football. Journal of Sports Sciences, 26, 885-895. DOI:10.1080/02640410701836887
30. Roderique-Davies, G. M., & Shearer, D. A. (2007). The key features of effective drug, alcohol and tobacco education: The absence of craving. Psychology of Education Review, 31, 21-29.
31. Shearer, D. A., Thomson, R., Mellalieu, S. D., & Shearer, C. R. (2007). The relationship between imagery function and collective efficacy in elite and non-elite athletes. Journal of Sport Science and Medicine, 6, 180-187. PMCID: PMC3786238
Book Chapters (2)
1. Mellalieu, S. D., & Shearer, D. A. (2011). Mental skills training in strength and conditioning. In D. Tod, & D. Lavallee (Eds.), Psychology of Strength and Conditioning.
2. Shearer, D. A., & Bressan, L. (2010). Working with wheelchair athletes. In V. Goosey-Tolfrey (ed.), Wheelchair sport: A complete guide for athletes, coaches, and teachers. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Guest Editor for European Journal of Sport Sciences
2000 – 2007: GB Wheelchair Basketball lead Psychologist
2007 – 2009: GB Shooting Psychologist
2011 – 2012 : GB Swimming psychologist (Swansea ITC)
2009 – present: England Rifle Shooting Lead Psychologist
2011 – 2014: Consultant to Finnish Olympic Committee and Finnish Sports Institute (Kuortane).
2012 – present: Consultant with Sport Wales
Areas of Expertise
Group dynamics in elite sport
Monitoring in elite sport
Psychology of extreme sport
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.