Paul Davies known as Paul
PhD in Advanced Polymer Composites for Structural Strengthening Systems
BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
I am Head of the School of Engineering, providing strategic and operational leadership for the School and all Engineering provision at the University of South Wales.
My main teaching areas are in the field of structural engineering, particularly in the specialisms of finite element analysis and utilisation of structural stiffness matrices.
I have acted as External Examiner for a number of institutions and am currently the Lead External Examiner for the School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering at the University of East London.
Prior to joining the University, I worked as a practising Civil Engineer in many organisations, in both private and governmental organisations.
My research interests centre around the use of advanced polymer composite materials for the strengthening of structural elements, particularly reinforced concrete.
Current areas of research include the evaluation of strengthening systems under dynamic loading; the effect of deposits on the flow efficiency of oil and gas pipelines; and the performance of treated recycled aggregates for structural applications.
- Omairey, S. and Davies, P., “Unidirectional Carbon Fibre Anchorage Length Effect on Flexural Strength Capacity for Concrete Beams”, ICASCE16 The 2nd International Conference on Architecture, Structure and Civil Engineering, London, March 2016
- Oti, J., Kinuthia, J.M., Robinson, R.B. and Davies, P., “Heating and Cooling Scenario of Blended Concrete Subjected to 780 Degrees Celsius”, International Journal of Civil, Structural, Construction and Architectural Engineering, Vol:9, No.4, April 2015
- Oti, J., Kinuthia, J.M., Robinson, R.B. and Davies, P., “The Use of Palm Kernel Shell and Ash for Concrete Production”, International Journal of Civil, Structural, Construction and Architectural Engineering, Vol:9, No.3, March 2015
- Davies, P. and Tann, D.B., “Determination of the ductility of FRP-strengthened RC structures”, ACIC 2011 The 5th International Conference on Composites in Construction, University of Warwick, September 2011
- Snelson, D.G., Kinuthia, J.M., Davies, P., and Chang S.-R. (2009) Sustainable construction: Composite use of tyres and ash in concrete. Waste Management Journal, 29, pp. 360 – 367
- Davies, P., Tann, D.B. and Delpak, R., “Supplementary Investigations into the Ductility and Deformability of FRP Strengthened RC Elements”, FRPRCS-9 9th International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement for Concrete Structures, Sydney, Australia, July 2009.
- Snelson, D.G., Kinuthia, J.M., Davies, P., and Chang S.-R. (2007) Sustainable road construction in the United Kingdom: Combined use of waste tyres and PFA. (Presented at the 9th International Conference on Modern Building Materials, Structures and Techniques, Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Vilnius, Lithuania, 16th – 18th May 2007
- Davies, P., Tann, D.B. and Delpak, R., “Further Investigations into the Ductility and Deformability of FRP Strengthened RC Elements”, FRPRCS-8 8th International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement for Concrete Structures, University of Patras, Greece, July 2007.
- Davies, P., Delpak, R. and Tann, D.B., “Relative Performance of FRP Strengthened RC Beam Sections with Varying Levels of Initial Steel Reinforcement”, ACIC07 The 3rd International Conference on Advanced Composites in Construction, University of Bath, UK, April 2007.
- Tann, D.B. and Davies, P., “Strength and Ductility of Solid RC Slabs Strengthened by FRP Composites”, ACMBS-IV 4th International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, Calgary, Canada, July 2004.
- Tann, D.B., Delpak, R. and Davies, P., “Ductility and deformability of fibre-reinforced polymer-strengthened reinforced concrete beams”, Journal of Structures and Buildings, Vol. 157, SB1, January 2004, pp 19-30
- Tann, D.B., Davies, P. and Delpak, R., “A review of ductility determination of FRP strengthened flexural RC elements,” Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on FRP Reinforcement for Concrete Structures (FRPRCS-6), Singapore, 2003.
- Punch load testing of canvas-strengthened concrete panels
- Testing of railway carriage cable connectors
- Analysis of the potential benefits of innovative in-matrix reinforcement for concrete.
- Strength assessment of lifting equipment.
- Strength and durability evaluation of waterproof plastic flooring systems.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.