BA (Hons) Graphic Design
I’m an Interactive Designer and Developer, with 15 years experience. I joined the university in 2001 as part of the EU-funded E-College Wales project. Since then I have worked primarily on e-learning projects, in particular creating creating high fidelity simulations for healthcare education courses. Two examples of this work are: Virtual Pain Manager, a nursing simulation teaching post-operative pain management to student nurses using a ‘patient controlled analgesia’ machine, and Virtual ECG, which aims to reduce the incidence of inaccurate ECG recording by allowing students to practice on a virtual patient and compare their performance against an expert practitioner.
Another part of my role is the creation of animations to explain complex subjects in a visually engaging manner and aid leaner understanding. Examples of this type of work include the Alien Worlds animations included in the Our Amazing Universe and Research: Sampling Methods collections on iTunes U.
I’m also the Creative Director for USW’s presence on iTunes U. My responsibilities include the design of the iTunes U site and supporting material, and creation of content – including animations and iBooks.
Additionally, I’m the creator of the university’s FindARoom service. This is a place-showing system to help staff and students locate rooms across the university’s many campuses.
I have spoken at conferences on several occasions about design and development (with particular regard to eLearning and developing simulations) at the Association for Learning Technology Conference, the Gregynog Colloquium and the Higher Education Academy Animations and Simulations Special Interest Group.
My work for the university has been shortlisted for several awards:
- 2012 – Virtual ECG a semi-finalist in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards in the ‘Innovation in Interactive Media in Education’ category.
- 2012 – Virtual ECG a finalist in the British Universities Film and Video Council, Learning on Screen Awards, in the ‘Courseware and Curriculum’ category.
- 2009 – Virtual Pain Manager received a commendation in the Association for Learning Technology, Jorum Learning & Teaching Competition.
- 2008 – Alien Worlds second in the Association for Learning Technology, Intrallect Alt-C Learning Object Competition.
- 2007 – An interactive business simulation – Human Capital Theory – shortlisted in the Association for Learning Technology, Intrallect Alt-C Learning Object Competition
Atlas of Design Vol. II
Published by the North American Cartographic Information Society
FindARoom project selected to appear in bi-annual collection of the ‘the best cartography around the world today’
Areas of Expertise
- Interactive Design & Development
- Interactive simulations for learning
- Web Design & Development
- Graphic Design
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.