BA (Hons) Graphic Design
I’m an Interactive Designer and Developer, with more than 20 years of experience. I joined the university in 2001 as part of the EU-funded E-College Wales project. Since then I have worked primarily on e-learning projects, in particular creating creating high fidelity simulations for healthcare education courses. Two such examples of this work are: Virtual Pain Manager, a nursing simulation teaching post-operative pain management to student nurses using a ‘patient controlled analgesia’ machine, and Virtual ECG, which aims to reduce the incidence of inaccurate ECG recording by allowing students to practice on a virtual patient and compare their performance against an expert practitioner.
Another part of my role is the creation of animations to explain complex subjects in a visually engaging manner to aid leaner understanding. Examples of this type of work can be found in the Our Amazing Universe, Research: Sampling Methods and Basics of Computer Programming collections on Apple Podcasts.
I’m also responsible for USW’s Digital Publishing activities. This includes the design of USW’s presence on iTunes U and Apple Podcasts, the design and production of supporting material, and content creation — including animations and iBooks.
Additionally, I’m the creator of the university’s FindARoom service. This is a place-showing system to help students, staff and visitors locate rooms across the University’s many campuses.
I have spoken at conferences about design and development, including (with particular regard to eLearning and developing simulations) at the Association for Learning Technology Conference, the Gregynog Colloquium and the Higher Education Academy Animations and Simulations Special Interest Group.
My work for the university has been shortlisted for and the recipient of awards:
- 2016 — “Flowcharting 1: Decisions, Processing and Looping” (an animation using flowcharting and a monkey to explain conditional and looping logic in computer programming) Best External Entry in the Cadarn Learning Portal Educational Media Awards.
- 2014 — FindARoom included in the Atlas of Design Vol. II, a biennial collection of the ‘the best cartography around the world today’ published by the North American Cartographic Information Society.
- 2012 — Virtual ECG a semi-finalist in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards in the ‘Innovation in Interactive Media in Education’ category.
- 2012 — Virtual ECG a finalist in the British Universities Film and Video Council, Learning on Screen Awards, in the ‘Courseware and Curriculum’ category.
- 2009 — Virtual Pain Manager received a commendation in the Association for Learning Technology, Jorum Learning & Teaching Competition.
- 2008 — Alien Worlds second in the Association for Learning Technology, Intrallect Alt-C Learning Object Competition.
- 2007 — An interactive business simulation – Human Capital Theory – shortlisted in the Association for Learning Technology, Intrallect Alt-C Learning Object Competition.
Atlas of Design Vol. II
Published by the North American Cartographic Information Society
FindARoom project selected to appear in biennial collection of the ‘the best cartography around the world today’.
Research Methods for Business Students, Managers and Entrepreneurs
An animated, illustrated interactive book explaining various research methods and how to use them.
Dulliau Ymchwil ar gyfer Myfyrwyr Busnes, Rheolwyr ac Entrepreneuriaid
A Welsh language translation of ‘Research Methods…’.
Areas of Expertise
- Interactive Design & Development
- Interactive simulations for learning
- Web Design & Development
- Graphic Design
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.