Eileen Munson known as Eileen
MSc ANP; BSc [Hons]; Specialist Practitioner; V200/V300 Non Medical Independent Prescriber;
R/Midwife; RGN; RNT; PGCE; Cert. Ed;
- Diploma in the Management of the Menopause
- Diploma in Psychology of Asthma Compliancy
- Diploma in Asthma RCGP/NTRC
- ENB 928 Diabetes
- ENB 997/998 Teaching and Assessing
- ENB 901 Family Planning
- Sexual Transmitted Infection Foundation Course
- Battle Field Advanced Trauma Life support
- Paediatric Advanced Life Support
- Immediate Life Support
- First Aid at Work
- First Aid Instructors Course
Main teaching areas
Advanced clinical practice: physical skills. V200 / V300 non medical independent prescribing; MSc and BSc post graduate diploma in Community Nursing all pathways. Women’s health: contraception and sexual health, menopause; Minor Illness and minor injuries; Diabetes, First Aid
Currently I have been nursing for 37 years with 10 years of acute nursing which began with a career in ITU; ending up in paediatric, which naturally followed into Midwifery. In 1990 I began my career in General Practice nursing whilst still working as a locum Midwife till 2004.
In January 2002 I joined University as Senior Lecturer in Specialist Community Health Nursing, as the professional pathway lead for General Practice Nursing. In 2006 I successfully completed |my MSc Advanced Nurse Practitioner and NMIP (V300/200) and have continued to keep skilled by working in General Practice and Out of hours for Cardiff and Vale and Cwm Taff LHB.
University Lead for General Practice Nursing
Specialising in Advanced Practice
Professional Lead for General Practice Nursing
Module Manager for MSc Advanced Clinical Practice – AU4S032 Clinical Skills Module
Module Manager MSc Community Health Studies – CA4H001 Decision Making
Module Manager BSc Community Health Studies – CA3H001 Decision Making
Module Manager MSc Community Health Studies – CA4S043 Specialist Practitioner Award for GPN
Module Manager BSc Community Health Studies – CA3S026 Specialist Practitioner Award for GPN
Module Manager MSc Community Health Studies – CA4S067 Management of Minor illness for Primary Care
Module Manager BSc Community Health Studies – CA3S029 Management of Minor illness for Primary Care
Module Manager BSc Community Health Studies – CA3S029 Diabetes for Primary Care
Module manager for Diabetes for Primary care – CA2H013 [RCT module]
Module Manager for Management of Minor illness – CA3D009 [40 credits level 6]
Module manager for Travel Health – CA2H003
Module manager for Immunization for Primary care – CA2H001
Personal Tutor & Academic Supervisor: Pre Registration Nursing Students, Post registration Advanced Practice nurses [all disciplines and paramedic]; General Practice Nurses, District Nurses, Community Children’s Nurses. School Nurses. ,
Community Placement Audits (Southern Circuit)
• Thomas LV, Munson E, Jenkins G, Belton J, Clements S, Jacobs C, Johnson N, Joy D, Jenkins, Low J Sheppard J. (2016):3:1 Nutritional Advice for Patients in the Community: Insights from a Panel Discussion British Journal of Community Nursing. Vol 3:1
Munson E as part of RCN PNA (2014) Nurses Employed by GP’s Employment Practice. RCN
• Munson E (2011) Nursing aboard at the Iraq front line. Nursing in Practice june 2011
• Munson E (2011) The Significance of the Menopause Practice Nurse Journal 41: (2) 27-30
• Munson E (2008) The future of General Practice Nursing. Working in Practice Partnership. Issue 14 Feb 08
• Munson E (2008) Prescribing in Osteoporosis Nurse Prescribing Vol 6. No 4 146-152i www.wipp.nhs.newatwipp/issue14.html
• Munson E (2008) A date for your diary- 25th Anniversary RCN PNA Conference. RCN PNA Newsletter. Summer 2008.
• Munson E (2008) Passion for Prescribing. Nursing Times Vol 22: No 28 pg 24-25.
• Munson E (2008) Keeping Pace with change Practice Nurse. Vol 36 No1 ISBN 0953-6612.
• Munson (2008) Sexual Health in Practice RCN Sexual Health Newsletter Winter 08
• Munson (2008) It’s a matter of Health. Sexual Health in Practice. Sexual Health Conference leaflet. 14th June 08.
• Munson (2008) National Practice Nurse Conference. Editorial. Practice Nurse. Vol 35, No 11, pg 50.
• Munson (2008) Conference 2008. Editorial . Practice Nursing. Vol 19, No 5 218. ISBN 0953-6612.
• Munson E. (2007) Practice Nursing in Iraq RCN PNA Newsletter Spring 2007
• Munson E (2007) Getting the message across – Sexual Health in desert RCN SH Newsletter Spring 2007
• Munson E. (2007) Prescribing Challenges in the menopause. Clinical Education. Association of Nurse prescribing Journal. Issue 2, 18-22.
• Munson (2007) Primary Health care on the front line. Primary Health Care. Vol 17, No 5, 14-16.
• Munson E. (2007) Challenges in Managing the Menopause. Practice Nursing Vol 18 No 6, 271-280.
• Wilcox A. and Munson E. (2007) Consultation Series 1: The emergence of the nursing consultation. Practice Nursing Vol 18 No 6, 409-412.
• Munson E. and Wilcox (2007) Consultation Series 2: Applying the Calgary-Cambridge model. Practice Nursing Vol 18 No 9, 464-468.
• RCN (2007) what’s happening in Wales? Practice Nursing in higher education – alive and well! RCN PNA Newsletter
• Wilcox A. and Munson E. (2007) Consultation Series 3: The provision of advice for Travel Health. Practice Nursing Vol 18 No 10.
• Munson E. (2007) Nurse practitioner at war. RCN NP Newsletter. Winter 2007. Due Dec 07
• Munson E. (2003) “Osteoporosis treatments in the elderly – which therapy?” Nurse to Nurse. 3: (4) April.
• Munson E (2003) “HRT a critical analysis of the current dilemmas”. Nurse to Nurse. 3: (6) June
• 2014 July 17th – NHS Wales – 1000 Lives: General Practice Nursing Event. Presentation on RCGP GPn Standards and Competencies.
• 2012 15th Oct – Queens Nursing Institute 125th Anniversary. Chair of sat alight Welsh Stream “Health care at home”.
• 2012 August 21st- 23rd World Disaster Nursing Research Society Conference. City Hall Cardiff. Poster on Community Preparedness the Military contribution to Afghanistan.
• 2012 – January 17th – RCN Public Health Conference. Presented on Public Health Nursing in Afghanistan RCN London.
• 2009 New Zealand key note speaker for the New Zealand Primary Care Conference.
• 2009 Leadership in Primary Care Lecture Tour North and South islands of New Zealand for 4 weeks. [April-May]
• 2009 SHOC [Sexual Health on Call supported by Department of Health] 2nd National Conference for Practice Nurses in Sexual Health Sex in the Surgery Lets make it Happen. “Team leadership making it happen” Wembley London.
• 2008 RCN 25th Anniversary UK Practice Nurse Conference – Chair and Host – organiser of this prestigious international event.
• 2007 SHOC [Sexual Health on Call supported by Department of Health] 1st National Sexual health Conference Sex in the Surgery – Sexual Health services in General Practice – RCOG London
Member – RCGP General Practice Nursing Foundation Group
Member – RCGP Wales Council – Co -opted member
Chair of Welsh Practice Nurse Association
Member All Wales primary care group – co opted member
RCN Nurse Practitioner Forum,
RCN Defence Nursing Forum,
British Menopause Society.
Royal Colleague of Nursing
Nurse Midwifery Council
Former RCN Practice Nurse Committee member [2004-2014]
Former co opted of RCN Sexual Health Committee [2006-2013]
Nurse Midwifery Council UK reviewer for revalidation of academic courses.
Revalidation of University of Greenwich – MSc in Sexual Health – 2015
Revalidation of University of Greenwich – BSc in CASH – 2009
External examiner for University of Central England, Birmingham – BSc (Hons)/ Post Graduate Diploma: women Health Studies 2008 – 2014
2016 – 2017 Queens Nursing Institute advisory group for General Practice Nursing Standards
2016 RCGP Competencies for Advanced Nurse Practitioners
RCGP Competencies for General Practice Nurses
RCGP Competencies for Health care Assistants
2006 Nurse Midwifery Council Cardiff Standards of Proficiency for a Licensed as a prescribers
2006/7 Welsh Assembly Government Sexual Health Advisory Committee. Recommended service specification for integrated sexual health services in Wales.
2004/5 Department of Health London Sexual Health Advisory Committee Recommended standards for sexual health services
2004/5 Welsh Assembly Government Practice Nurse Education
1. Queens Nursing Institute advisory group for General Practice Nursing Standards 2015-2017
2. RCGP Wales GPn Member Oct 2014 – present
3. Chair of the Welsh Practice Nurse Association for Wales. 2011 –present
4. Royal Naval Reserve Training Officer for HMS CAMBRIA WALES 2007 – present
Royal Naval Reserve Training Officer for UK Medical Branch Nov 2014 – 2016
5. UK RCGP GP Nursing Foundation group committee member 2009 – present
6. Editorial Board member of Practice Nursing Journal 2004 – present
1. Public Health Wales Interim Expert Advisory Group Transforming Health Improvement: Implementation program Group Sept 2014 – May 2015
2. Royal Naval Reserve Operational Capability S02 Officer for UK Medical Branch Dec 2011 2014
3. RCN Practice Nurse Association UK elected Committee representative 2004 – 2012
4. NLIAH National Leadership and Innovation for Health in Wales. Work Force Development Group – General Practice. Executive member of board. 2011- 2013
5. RCGP GP Nursing Foundation educational lead on master class for education delivery.
6. RCGP GP Nursing Foundation prescribing and website reviewer
7. Secretary for the Welsh Reserve Armed forces Ball 2001 – 2012
8. Committee member of the South Wales Non-Medical Prescribing Team.
9. Committee member for the Faculty of Family Planning and contraception. CEU Contraception for the over 40’s Guidelines Published Aug 2010
10. Welsh Assembly Government Violence and Aggression in Primary Care
11. Welsh Assembly Government Vascular Risk Assessment Policy for Wales GPn committee member 2007-2010.
12. Treasure for The Association of Nurse Prescribers and Editorial board member 2006 – 2007
13. Former Chair 2003 – 2009 and Marketing and membership Officer 2009-2011 for the Welsh Practice Nurse Association
14. UK RCN Practice Nurse Association Forum committee member since 2004 –present
– Chair and Organiser of the United Kingdom RCN Practice Nurse 25th Anniversary Conference July 9th to 11th 2008
15. Co-opted UK RCN Welsh representative for Sexual Health Association forum 2006 – present
16. UK General Practice Nursing Educators Forum former chair 2008-2010
17. External Examiner for University of Birmingham – Sexual Health and Midwifery. 2006- 2012.
18. Completion of UK RCN Political Leadership course March 07 – Jan 08.
19. Completion of the UK RCN Primary Care Leadership Course 2006
20. Part of the All Wales Sexual Health Welsh Assembly group. In Oct 06-Feb 07 mapped the sexual health educational in Wales. Plus the services delivered in Primary care general practice [LHB’s] and in Trust. This was then presented to CNO at WAG late 2007 awaiting responses back on the WAG Consultation on sexual health, prior to proceeding to next stage.
21. Consultation for Leo Pharma –Dermatology Nurse Prescribing Advisory board. 26th April 2007
22. NHS Clinical Knowledge – review on Contraception – July 2007
23. Contributed to the baseline assessment of the provision of immunisation training within University establishments across Wales – for the National Public Health Service for Wales.
24. Founding member of GPN Education forum Sept 07, Lobby group for PN issues.
25. Organiser of the RCN Practice Nurse Association 25th Anniversary Conference 9-11th July 08.
26. Consultancy on Department of Health “Break through Breast Cancer” leaflet
27. Consultancy and Peer for Sexual-Health-Practice A2z website
28. Launched the Sexual-Health-Practice A2z website, congress 2008 and RCN PNA Conference July 08
29. Advisory group for Royal Society of Health website on behalf of RNC PNA looking at HPV education programme for school Health and Practice nurses.
30. Secretary member of National Association of osteoporosis for Wales 2001- 2005
General Practice Nursing – all aspect.
Nurse Prescribing within the context of first contact care out of hours.
Community Health Nursing education and mentorship
Advanced Practice Education and Its Impact on Clinical Practice.
Advanced Practice Education and Impact on Student/Mentor/MDT Relationship
Areas of Expertise
Professional lead for General Practice Nursing for USW and sit on RCGP Wales Council
Management of the Menopause
Mangement of Minor Illness and Minor Injuries
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.