Kang Li known as Kang
Ph.D: Optics, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences,
Xi’an Institute of Optics and Precision Mechanics, CAS. Chinese Academy of Sciences
BSc: Optoelectronics, Changchun University of Science and Technology
SETsquared Partnership, ICURe,
Jun 2015 – Present
WORIC, University of South Wales
Novel concepts for free space communications to Unmanned Aerial Vehicle，EADS Foundation, Wales.
Proof of Concept for a Novel All-Optical Wavelength Conversion Technology for Next Generation Network Welsh, ERDF A4B.
MSc Optoelectronics course in WORIC will give students the cutting-edge technical expertise in opotoelectronics technologies and provides vital careerenhancing exposure to the industry.
NG4S905-Optoelectronics Devices for Telecommunications
January 2011 to June 2015
Wireless and Optoelectronics Research and Innovation Centre (WORIC), Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science, University of South Wales
Implemented the Carbon Trust project of Theoretical and experimental research in new robust OLED lighting
Implemented the A4B (academic for business) project: Proof of Concept for a Novel All-Optical Wavelength Conversion Technology for Next Generation Networks
Managed and implemented the Knowledge Transfer Partnership Programme KTP1000901: Design the novel compact LED light multiplexer.
July 2009 to July 2011
Faculty of Advanced Technology, University of South Wales (Glamorgan University)
Implemented the DTI Project of Intra-cavity Frequency Doubling of An Edge-emitting Diode Laser With A Periodically Poled LiNbO3 Crystal, and DTI Project of HIGH EFFICIENCY LASER PROJECTION SYSTEMS (HELPS)
July 2007 to July 2009
Institute of Advanced Telecommunications, Swansea University
Implemented the £5m European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) project of Investigated and analyzed the achievable Four Wave Mixing (FWM) efficiency within the polarization insensitive SOA-based wavelength conversion scheme.
KTP Academy supervisor
Co-supervisor of MSc and PhD students.
1. Xu, Q., Li, K., Copner, N. & Lin, S., ‘An Ultrashort Wavelength Multi/Demultiplexer via Rectangular Liquid-Infiltrated Dual-Core Polymer Optical Fiber,’ 26 May 2019 In : Materials.https://doi.org/10.3390/ma12101709
2. Xu, Q., Luo, W., Li, K., Copner, N. & Lin, S., ‘Design of polarization splitter via liquid and Ti infiltrated photonic crystal fiber,’ 18 Feb 2019 In : Crystals.
3. Yan R, Zhao C, Li X, Li K, Yu X, Yao W, Peng F, Zhang Q, Dou R, Gao J, Copner N. Quasi-three-level Nd: GdYNbO4 927 nm laser under 879 nm laser diode pumping. Laser Physics. 2018 Jun 12;28(8):085803.
4. Qin C, Yang L, Yang J, Tian J, Wang J, Zhang Z, Xue P, Gong Y, Li K. Temperature sensing based on chaotic correlation fiber loop ring down system. Optical Fiber Technology. 2019 Jan 1;47:141-6.
5. Yao W, Yan R, Wu W, Li K, Yu X, Ma Y, Peng F, Zhang Q, Dou R, Copner N, Gao J. LD pumped quasi-three-level 928 nm laser with Nd: Gd0. 69Y0. 3TaO4 mixed crystal. Optics & Laser Technology. 2019 Apr 1;111:222-6.
1. Qiang Xu, Rui Zhang, Yaru Xi, Peng Jiang, Yani Zhang, Kang Li, Nigel Copner, and Xu Chen “Transmission characteristics of long-period fiber gratings via radiation of femtosecond laser”, Proc. SPIE 11170, 14th National Conference on Laser Technology and Optoelectronics (LTO 2019), 1117005 (17 May 2019); doi: 10.1117/12.2531174; https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2531174
2. Yusuf Abubakar, Kang Li, Nigel Copner, Dun Qiao, Yongkang Gong, ‘Novel Mid-infrared Multiple Coherent Emissions for Gas Sensing’,CLEO/Europe-EQEC 2019.
1. Investigation on 1.3 μm laser performance with Nd:GdYTaO4 and Nd:GdYNbO4 mixed crystals, May 2018 Optics Express.
2. Low Etendue Yellow-Green Solid-State Light Generation by Laser-pumped LuAG:Ce Ceramic, Mar 2018 IEEE Photonics Technology Letters.
3. High power yellow green light source based on laser diode pumped YAG:Ce transparent ceramic, 2017 IEEE High Power Diode Lasers and Systems Conference (HPD).
1.Comparative study of passively Q-switched c-cut Nd:YVO4/Nd:YAG lasers based on CVD graphene and controlled operation, Optics Communications • February 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.optcom.2016.01.017，
2.Current control of light by nonreciprocal magnetoplasmonics，Article in Applied Physics Letters 106(19):191104 • May 2015, DOI: 10.1063/1.4921208
3.Coherent emission of light using stacked gratings，Article in Physical review. B, Condensed matter 87(20) • May 2013, DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.87.205121
4.A new scheme for novel all-optical wavelength conversion with ultrabroad conversion tunability and modulation-transparency，Article in Proceedings of SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering 8647 • January 2013, DOI: 10.1117/12.2002841
1.Yongkang Gong, Jungang Huang, Kang Li, Nigel Copner, J. J. Martinez, Leirang Wang, Tao Duan, Wenfu Zhang, and W. H. Loh, “Spoof four-wave mixing for all-optical wavelength conversion,” Opt. Express 20, 24030-24037 (2012)
2.Y. Gong, K. Li, J. Huang, N. J. Copner, A. Davies, L. Wang, and T. Duan, “Frequency-selective nanostructured plasmonic absorber by highly lossy interface mode,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124 (2012).
1.K. Li, H. Wang, N. J. Copner, C. B. E. Gawith, I. G. Knight, H.-U. Pfeiffer, B. Musk, and G. Moss, “465 nm laser sources by intracavity frequency doubling using a 49-edge-emitters laser bar,” Opt. Lett. 36, 361-363 (2011),
Spot Light on Optics by OSA
2.Kang Li, N.J.Copner, C.B.E.Gawith, Ian G Knight, Hans-Ulrich Pfeiffer, and Bob Musk ‘Compact intracavity frequency doubled diode laser at 465 nm’ ,SPIE paper 7912-72, Photonics West 2011.
3.Kang Li, Ray Chaney, and N.J.Copner, ‘Novel mode hop free chirped laser’, SPIE paper 7933-49, Photonics West 2011.
4.Kang Li, N.J.Copner, and Hongying Wang, ‘A Novel Grating Based Temporal Buffering Approach’ SPIE paper 7949-6, Photonics West 2011.
5.Hongying Wang, Kang Li, and N.J. Copner, ‘Calculation characteristics of spontaneous parametric emission based on BaAlBO3F2 crystal’, SPIE paper 7917-58, Photonics West 2011.
6.Kevin Rogers, Kang Li, N.J.Copner, Peter Excell, Paul Driscoll, and Ron Yandle, ‘An investigation into LED multiplexing and homogenisation’, SPIE paper 7933-41, Photonics West 2011.
2009 to 2010
1.Kang Li, Aiyun Yao, N.J.Copner, C.B.E.Gawith, Ian G Knight, Hans-Ulrich Pfeiffer, and Bob Musk ‘Compact 1.3-W green laser by intra-cavity frequency doubling of a multi-edge-emitters laser bar using a MgO:PPLN crystal’ Optics Letters Vol.34, No. 22 2009.
2.Kang Li, Aiyun Yao, N.J.Copner, C.B.E.Gawith, Ian G Knight, Hans-Ulrich Pfeiffer, and Bob Musk, ‘Blue light generated by intra-cavity frequency doubling of an edge-emitting diode laser with a periodically poled LiNbO3 crystal’ Optics Express Vol.17, No. 22 2009.
3.Kang Li, Aiyun Yao, N.J.Copner, C.B.E.Gawith, Ian G Knight, ‘Intra-cavity Frequency Doubling of an Electrically Pumped Edge-emitting 980 nm Laser Diode with PPLN’, CLEO-EUROPE 2009.
2005 to 2007
1.Kang Li, Xinghua Yang, LiLi Wang, Wei Zhao, ‘Hemicyanine dye-doped microstructured polymer optical fiber laser with high numerical aperture air-clad’, CLEO/QELS 2007.
2.Kang Li, Yishan Wang, Wei Zhao, Guofu Chen, Qinjun Peng, Dafu Cui and Zuyan Xu, ‘Lasing characteristics of strongly pumped Yb-doped photonic crystal fiber laser’, Chinese Optics Letters 2007, 5, No.6.
3.Kang Li, Yishan Wang, Wei Zhao, Guofu Chen, Qinjun Peng, Dafu Cui and Zuyan Xu, ‘High-power single-mode large-mode-area photonic crystal fiber laser with improved Fabry-Perot Cavity’, Chinese Optics Letters 2006, 4, pp. 522-524.
4.Kang Li, Yishan Wang, Wei Zhao, Guofu Chen, Qinjun Peng, Dafu Cui and Zuyan Xu, ‘High-power double-clad large-mode-area photonic crystal fiber laser’, Chinese Optics Letters 2005, 3, pp. 457-459.
5.Kang Li, Yishan Wang, Wei Zhao, Guofu Chen, Qinjun Peng, Dafu Cui and Zuyan Xu, ‘High-power double-clad large-mode-area photonic crystal fiber laser’, Proc. SPIE Vol. 6028, p. 157-162, 2005.
6.Yani Zhang, Kang Li, Lili Wang, Liyong Ren, Wei Zhao and Runcai Miao, Maryanne C. J. Large and Martijn A. van Eijkelenborg, ‘Casting preforms for microstructured polymer optical fiber fabrication’, Opt. Express 14, 5541-5547 2006.
7.Q. Peng, Y. Zhou, Y. Chen, Z. Sun, Y. Bo, X. Yang, Z. Xu, Y. Wang, K. Li and W. Zhao, ‘Phase locking of fiber lasers by self-imaging resonator’, Electronics Letters 17th February 2005, 41, No.4.
Member of Optical Society of America (OSA)
MInstP/Member of IoP – Institute of Physics
Evaluating the possibility of moving research ideas and innovation into the marketplace as part of Innovation to Commercialisation of University Research (ICURe) cohort 14 piloted by the SETsquared Partnership and Innovate UK, and funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
My research is focusing on the solid state lasers and fiber lasers, nonlinear optics, new wavelength and novel applications laser sources. The current researches include the Novel Tuneable Laser Concept for High Precision Metrology Application,which seeks to prove a novel way of rapidly tuning the frequency of a laser for existing metrology products to be developed, and Highly Efficient Grating Enhanced OLED Lighting which aims to deliver more efficient OLED white lighting with 120 lumen/Watt and 50% better than existing OLEDs using photo-lithographical technology.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.