MSc Music Technology, University of York, 1997
BMus (Hons), University of Wales, Cardiff, 1996
LWCMD (distinction), Welsh College of Music and Drama, 1982
PGCE, University of Wales Institute Cardiff, 1999
Apple Accredited Trainer for Logic Pro X
Main teaching areas:
- Immersive Audio
- Live Performance
- Music Technology
- Composition for Film, Animation, and Computer Games
- Sound Design
Pro trumpet player since 1980
Plays trumpet with the Capital City Jazz Orchestra. Also Fat Barry’s Soul Band, Symphony Sid and the Swing Kings, Jeff Hooper Swing Easy Band, Phil Dando Big Band, Bogart, Madassa Soul Band, Brother Ray, Riverbrew, and others; theatres, pantomimes, summer seasons, and on cruise liners.
- Cooper A, and Martin N (2019) ’The Impact of a Prototype Acoustically Transparent Headphone System on the Recording Studio Performances of Professional Trumpet Players’ in Hepworth-Sawyer R, Hodgson J, Paterson J, and Toulson R, “Innovation in music” Oxford: Routledge.
- BBC Cymru Big Band, 1988 TV Series (trumpet player)
- Beta Band, 2004, “Heroes to Zeros” (trumpet player)
- Kids in Glass Houses, 2009, “Dirt” (trumpet player)
- ”The Royal Romance of Charles and Diana" dir. Peter Levin, 1982 (music production team)
- Jethro Tull, 1985, “A Classic Case” (music production team)
2017-2021 External Examiner, BA (Hons) Music & FD Music, The Sheffield College.
2013-2017 External Examiner, BA (Hons) Music Performance & BA (Hons) Music Production, Hull College
- FD Sound & Music Technology and BA (Hons) Sound & Music Technology Top-up, Calderdale College.
- BA (Hons) Advertising Design, USW
With Andy Cooper: The Impact of a Prototype Acoustically Transparent Headphone System
Areas of Expertise
Composing and Sound Design for Media
Big Band Arranger
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.