Prof Lisa Lewis
B.A. Hons. (Cymru/Wales); PhD (Aberystwyth); FHEA.
I am Co-Director of the Centre for Media and Culture in Small Nations with Prof Ruth McElroy.
Over the past four years I led the interdisciplinary research project, ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project’ with Dr Aparna Sharma, UCLA (co-investigator), and Professor Desmond Kharmawphlang, NEHU (project advisor). Please see http://www.welshkhasidialogues.co.uk
This work continues in 2019-2020 with a tour (performance and exhibition) of India and Wales.
- 2016 co-written with Aparna Sharma, ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: Transactions and Translations’, Performance Research ‘On Trans/Performance’, 21:5, pp.81-84.
- 2016 co-written with Rea Dennis, ’Diderot’s body and cognitive science: sensation, impulse and action in performer training’, Studies in Theatre and Performance http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14682761.2016.1269510
- 2018 Performing Wales: People, Memory, and Place (University of Wales Press)
*2018 ’Perfformio’r Archif/Performing the Archive’, performance (director/performer), National Eisteddfod of Wales, Cardiff.
2018 ‘On Memory’, Performance Research ‘On Reflection: Turning 100’, 23:4, pp. 409–413.
*2019 ‘Performing Journeys/Perfformio’r Daith’, performance (director), Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff (director).
*2019 ‘Performing Journeys’, National Khasi Dorbar Hall, Shillong, Meghalaya, India (director).
2019, ’O’r ddrama gymdeithasol i’r pasiant: theatr yn y gyfnewidfa ddiwylliannol rhwng Cymru a gogledd-ddwyrain India’ (‘From social drama to the pageant: theatre in the cultural exchange between Wales and north-east India’, Gwerddon (gol. A. Jones), Rhif 29, Hydref 2019, tt. 29–59.
Selected Papers & Scholarly Contributions:
- 2014 ‘Datblygu disgwrs cyfrwng Cymraeg yn wyneb hegemoni disgyblaethol Eingl-Americanaidd’ (Developing a Welsh discourse in the context of Anglo-American disciplinary hegemony), Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, International Conference, Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff
- 2014 ‘Meaning and Diderot’s body: sensation, feeling, impulse and action in performer training’, with Dr Rea Dennis, Double Dialogues conference organized by Deakin, Melbourne, Cardiff, Cardiff Metropolitan and South Wales universities, Cardiff
- 2016 ‘Postcolonialism and Imagi-Nation’, Lecture, Department of World Arts and Cultures, UCLA
- 2016 ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues’, research seminar, with Dr Aparna Sharma, UCLA
2016 ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: Mapping Methods of Performance’, North American Association for the Study of Welsh Culture and History (NAASWCH), International Conference on Welsh Studies, Harvard University, USA
2016 ‘’Intercultural’ Performance in India and Wales: Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues’, Theatre and Performance Research Association (TaPRA), Bristol University
*2017 ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: Interweaving Theory and Practice’, Interweaving Performance Cultures conference, University of Malta
*2017 ‘Sacred Places in Wales and North-East India’, co-written with Dr Aparna Sharma, Sacred Places conference, Liverpool Hope University
*2017 ‘Sacred Places in the Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues’, co-written with Dr Aparna Sharma, George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling Symposium, ‘Storytelling and Place’, USW
*2017 ‘Colonial Flow and the Performance of Civility’, Performance Studies international conference, Kampnagel/Hamburg University.
*2017 ‘Epistolic writing and the performance of colonial self in the Welsh Mission in North East India’, consultative seminar, North Eastern Hill University, India
- 2018 ‘The Welsh in Northeast India: Cultural explorations through Creative Arts practice’. Panel presentation by members of the Welsh and Khasi cultural dialogues project, North American Society for the Study of Welsh Culture and History (NAASWCH) Conference, Bangor University.
*2018 ‘Multilingual practice in “Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues”: Strategies for the performance of minority languages’, Performing Multilingualism in World Literatures: Aesthetics and Activism, Exeter College, University of Oxford.
2019 ‘Memory, orality and the archive: making performance from the traces of the Welsh and Khasi cultural exchange’, Memory Studies Association conference, Complutense University Madrid.
2019 ‘Performance and the Documentary Archive’, Visible Evidence conference, University of Southern California.
2019 ‘Yr Amgueddfa a’r Brifysgol: Tuag at Fforwm Gobaith’ (‘The Museum and the University: Towards a Forum for Hope’), Keynote at Civic Mission conference: Gweithredu: Dyfodol Prifysgolion ac Amgueddfeydd/Activism: The Future for Museums and Universities, St Fagan’s National Museum of History.
2019 ‘Cymru a Bryniau Casia-Jaiñtia/Wales and the Khasi-Jaiñtia Hills’, special day event at St Fagan’s Museum of National History.
2019 ’ “A oes a’ch deil o hyd mewn cof a chalon . . . ?” Ontoleg y traddodiad perfformio Cymreig’, Cynhadledd Adran Athronyddol Urdd Graddedigion Prifysgol Cymru, Prifysgol Caerdydd
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Theatre and Performance Research Association
International Federation for Theatre Research
Performance Studies international
- 2001-2005 External Examiner for Communications and Drama, University of Wales Bangor
- 2003-2008 External Examiner for Drama and Theatre Studies, University of Wales Aberystwyth
- 2004-2008 External Examiner for Performance Studies, University of Wales Aberystwyth
- 2014 -2016 External Examiner for Drama, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 1999-2003 Arts Council of Wales, National Advisor for Drama and Dance
- 2000- Y Ffwrwm Language and Culture Policy Group
- 2002-2003 Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru Steering Committee
- 2002-2003 International Theatre Institute Cymru Steering Group
- 2003- Member of TRAWS, the Inter-University Research Group for Performance in Wales
- 2005- Creative Industries Network Panel for HEFCW Centre for the Development of Welsh-medium teaching.
- 2004- Steering Group, The George Ewart Evans Centre for Storytelling, University of Glamorgan
- 2009-2016 Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru, Artistic Sub-committee
Heritage and performance; performance, culture and identity; site specific theatre; museums and heritage sites as performance; performative writing; performance and everyday life; autobiographical performance; cultural performance and postcolonial theory.
Current research activity:
I am lead investigator of a four year project (October 2015 – September 2019) funded by The Leverhulme Trust, entitled ‘Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project’. For more detail on this project please see Welsh and Khasi Cultural Dialogues: An Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance Project
Areas of Expertise
Theatre and Performance Studies; Welsh Performance; Theatre in Wales; Performance and Heritage; Cultural Performance;
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.