Muhammad Usman known as Muhammad
Postdoc in Cyber Security & Machine Learning – University of Surrey, UK
PhD – Griffith University, Australia
MS (CS), BS (CS) – Pakistan
- Intel Teach Program, 2009 – Intel Corporation, USA – JNO-350, Certified Internet Specialist, (JNCIS-ER)
- Juniper Networks, California, USA, JNO-330, Certified Internet Specialist (JNCIS-JES), 2009, Juniper Networks, California, USA
- JNO-400, Certified Internet Associate, (JNCIA-EX), 2009 – Juniper Networks, California, USA
- JNO-342, Certified Internet Associate (JNCIA-ER), 2009 -Juniper Networks, California, USA
- Database Management Systems (DBMS), 2007, Quaid-I-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Computer Networking, 2006, Quaid-I-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Linux System Administration, 2006, Pakistan Computer Bureau, Islamabad, Pakistan
- E-Commerce (Webpage Designing), 2003, Trade Training Centre, Islamabad, Pakistan
Muhammad Usman received the MS (Computer Science) from the PMAS-AAUR, Pakistan with first class and obtained Ph.D. from School of Information and Communication Technology, Griffith University, Australia. He severed as a Postdoc Research Fellow in Cyber Security and Machine Learning at University of Surrey, UK. He possesses over 16 years of experience during which he has held several academic and industrial positions in different parts of the world including Australia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and UK. His current research interests include design and analysis of security and privacy methods for Cyber-Physical Systems, IOT-enabled Systems, Trust & Privacy, Formal and Statistical Modelling, Web Services, and Health Data analytics. He has published around thirty-five research papers in international journals and conferences including prestigious journals such as IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics. He has also published a book focused on Mobile Agent-Based Anomaly Detection and Verification System for Smart Home Sensor Networks. He has successfully supervised over 25 postgraduate research and undergraduate project students and supervising PhD students. He has been recipient of several research and travel grants. He has led, and acted as an associate guest editor, in special issues in IEEE transactions. He has served in different capacities such as organising committee member, TCP member, focal person and/ or publication chair of several international IEEE conferences. He is a member of Network Security Research Group at the Institute for Integrated and Intelligent Systems at Griffith University, Australia. He is also a member of Computer Science Teachers Association, endorsed by ACM, USA. He is a Juniper certified networking and security specialist. His research paper has received the best paper award in IEEE ComTech 2017.
- Senior Lecturer in Cyber Security Nov 2019 to date – Cyber Security, Faculty of Computing Engineering and Science, University of South Wales, United Kingdom
- Research Fellow (Cyber Security and Machine Learning) Oct 2018 to Nov 2019 – Department of Computer Science, University of Surrey, United Kingdom
- Assistant Professor Feb 2016 to Oct 2018 – Department of Computer Sciences, Quaid-i-Azam University, Pakistan
- Associate Lecturer (Level A) Aug 2015 to Jan 2016 – School of Information and Communication Technology, Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
- Instructor Feb 2012- July 2015 – School of Information and Communication Technology, Griffith University, Queensland, Australia
- Lecturer March 2011- To – Jan 2012 – Faculty of Computer Science, King Khalid University, Abha, Aseer, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Lecturer and Project Manager (Research Centre) Oct 2010 – To – Feb 2011 – Faculty of Information Technology, University of Central Punjab, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
- Lecturer and System Administrator – PAF Fazaia College, Lower Topa, Murree, Punjab, Pakistan
-Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses (modules) focused on Cyber Security – currently teaching Practical Application Security and Security and System Administration to Masters and Undergraduate students respectively
-Writing and biding for applied research grants focused on multiple domains including Cyber-Physical Systems such as Aerospace Maritime Systems
-Supervising undergraduate and postgraduate students including PhD students
1. Mobile Agent-Based Anomaly Detection and Verification System for Smart Home Sensor Networks,
M. Usman, V. Muthukkumarasamy, X.-W. Wu, and Surraya Khanum, Springer, 2018.
2. An improved biometric Multi-Server Authentication Scheme for Chang et al. protocol, A. Irshad, S. Ashraf, M. Shafiq, M. Usman, and S. Kumari, Information Technology and Control, vol. X. No. x. 2019.
3. A provable and secure mobile user authentication Scheme for Mobile Cloud Computing Services, A. Irshad, S. A. Chaudhry, M. Shafiq, M. Usman, M. Asif and Anwer Ghani, International Journal of Communication Systems, vol. x. No. x. 2019.
4. Cryptanalysis and improvement of a Multi-Server Authenticated Key Agreement by Chen and Lee’s Scheme, A. Irshad, H. Naqvi, S. A. Chaudhary, M. Usman, M. Shafiq, O. Mir, and A. Kanwal, Information Technology and Control, Vol. 47, No. 3, 2018.
5. Trust Establishment and Estimation in Cloud Services: A Systematic Literature Review, K. Mahmud and
M. Usman, Journal of Network and Systems Management, October 2018.
6. Multiple Access Control for Cognitive Radio-Based IEEE 802.11ah Networks, Muhammad Shafiq, Maqbool Ahmad, Azeem Irshad, Moneeb Gohar, Muhammad Usman, Muhammad Khalil Afzal, Heejung Yu, and Jin-Ghoo Choi, Sensors, vol. 18, June 2018.
7. An efficient and secure design of multi-server authenticated key agreement protocol, Azeem Irshad, Syed Husnain Abbas Naqvi, Shehzad Ashraf Chaudhary, Shoukat Raheem, Saru Kumari, Ambrina Kanwal, and Muhammad Usman, The Journal of Supercomputing, vol. x, pp. 1-27, July 2018.
8. Disease-Disease Association Using Network Modeling: Challenges and Opportunities, Zahra Batool, Muhammad Usman, Khalid Saleem, M. Abdullah-Al-Wadud, Fazal-e-Amin, Abdulhameed Al-Eliwi, Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics, vol. 8, pp. 1-10, 2018.
9. An improved lightweight multi-server authentication scheme, Azeem Irshad, Shehzad Ashraf Chaudhary, Saru Kumari, Muhammad Usman, Khalid Mahmood, and Muhammad Shahzad Faisal, International Journal of Communication Systems, 4 July 2017.
10. Mobile Agent-based Cross Layer Anomaly Detection in Smart Home Sensor Networks, M. Usman,
V. Muthukkumarasamy, and X.-W. Wu, IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, May 2015.
11. Specifications and Validation of Agent-based Anomaly Detection and Verification System for Resource Constrained Networks, M. Usman, V. Muthukkumarasamy, and X.-W. Wu, Journal of Networks, July 2015.
12. A Resource-Efficient System for Mobile Agent-based Anomaly Detection and Verification in Wireless Sensor Networks, M. Usman, V. Muthukkumarasamy, and X.-W. Wu, Journal of Networks, Vol. 9, No. 12, pp. 3427-3444, Dec. 2014.
13. Mobile Agent Based Hierarchical Intrusion Detection System in Wireless Sensor Networks S. Khanum,
M. Usman, and A. Alwabel, International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI), vol. 9, iss. 1, January 2012.
14. Performance Evaluation of Group Mobility in Mobile Ad hoc Networks, E. Irshad, W. Noshairwan,
M. Shafiq, S. Khurram, A. Irshad, and M. Usman, International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, pp. 13-22, vol. 4, no. 1, 2011.
15. Security Enhancement in MANET Authentication by checking the CRL Status of Servers, A. Irshad,
W. Noshairwan, M. Shafiq, S. Khurram, E. Irshad, and M. Usman, International Journal of Advanced Science & Technology (IJAST), Korea, 2008.
16. Security Hardening for Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators, I. Jaffar, M. Usman, and A. Jolfaei, Special Session on Security Hardening of Industrial IoT Systems in 20th IEEE international conference on industrial technology, IEEE-ICIT, 2019.
17. Elective Learning Objects Group Recommendation Using Non-Cooperative Game Theory, A. Zia and
M. Usman, 16th IEEE International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), 17-19 December 2018.
18. E-HOSA: Extended-Hybrid Optical Switch Architecture for Cloud Computing Data Centers, S. Lone and M. Usman, 16th IEEE International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), 17-19 December 2018.
19. Sum-of-the-Parts Valuation-based Scheduling of Parallel Applications over Global Grid, A. Hameed and
M. Usman, Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), Islamabad, Pakistan, 18-20 December 2017.
20. Dynamic Trust Evaluation of Learning Objects, K. Mehmood and M. Usman, International Conference on Communications Technologies (ComTech – 2017), pp. 195-200, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, April 2017. (Best Paper Award)
21. Anomaly Detection in Wireless Sensor Network: Challenges and Future Trends, M. Usman,
V. Muthukkumarasamy, X-W. Wu, S. Khanum, Book chapter, Security for Multihop Wireless Networks, Auerbach publications, Taylor & Francis Group, pp. 273-304, USA, 2014.
22. Agent-enabled Anomaly Detection in Resource Constrained Wireless Sensor Networks, M. Usman, in proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), pp. 1-2, Sydney, Australia, June 2014.
23. Formal Verification of Mobile Agent Based Anomaly Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks,
M. Usman, V. Muthukkumarasamy, X-W. Wu, in proceedings of the IEEE 38th conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN Workshops), pp. 1001-1009, Sydney, Australia, October 2013.
24. Efficient Clique Based Clustering and Routing Mechanism in Wireless Sensor Networks, K. Biswas,
V. Muthukkumarasamy, E. Sithirasenan, and M. Usman, in proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, (IWCMC), pp. 171-176, Sardinia, Italy, July 2013.
25. Securing Mobile Agent Based Wireless Sensor Network Applications on Middleware, M. Usman,
V. Muthukkumarasamy, X.-W. Wu, and S. Khanum, IEEE 12th International Symposium on Communication and Information Technology (ISCIT), Gold Coast, Australia, October 2012.
26. Wireless Smart Home Sensor Networks: Mobile Agent Based Anomaly Detection, M. Usman,
V. Muthukkumarasamy, X.-W. Wu, and S. Khanum, in proceedings of the IEEE 9th conference on Ubiquitous intelligence and Computing (UIC), pp. 322-329, Japan, September 2012.
27. An Optimal Mutual Authentication Scheme in GSM Networks, A. Haleem and M. Usman, in proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies (ICICT), pp. 1-5, Karachi, Pakistan, July 2011.
28. Hash-chain based peer-peer key management and establishment of Security Associations in MANETS,
A. Irshad, S. M. Gilani, S. Khurram, M. Shafiq, A. W. Khan, M. Usman, in proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information and Emerging Technologies (ICIET), pp. 1-6, Karachi, Pakistan, 2010.
29. Performance Evaluation of Authentication Certificate Based Seamless Vertical Handoff in GPRS- WLAN, M. Usman, S. Khanum, W. Noshairwan, E. Irshad, and A. Irshad High Performance Computing and Applications (HPCA), LNCS, Springer-Verlag, pp. 384-389, 2010.
30. Energy-Efficient Intrusion Detection System for Wireless Sensor Network Based on MUSK Architecture, S. Khanum, M. Usman, K. Hussain, R. Zafar, and M. Sher, High Performance Computing and Applications (HPCA), LNCS, Springer-Verlag, pp. 212–217, 2010.
31. Certificate Chain based Authentication in MANETS using 4th generation Technologies, A. Irshad,
W. Noshairwan, M. Shafiq, A. W. Khan, M. Usman, and E. Irshad, in proceedings of the IEEE 2nd International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT), pp. 518-523, Beijing, China, August 2009.
32. Authentication of Nodes among Different Symmetric Key Groups in MANETs using 4G Technologies,
A. Irshad, W. Noshairwan, M. Rashid, S. M. Gilani, E. Irshad, and M. Usman, in proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Engineering and Technology (ICCET), pp. 261-265, Singapore, Jan 2009.
33. A Secure interaction among nodes from different MANET Groups using 4G technologies, A. Irshad,
M. Shafiq, A. Rahman, S. Khurram, M. Usman, and E. Irshad, Oct 2009, In proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies (ICET), pp. 476-481, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, 2009.
34. Seamless vertical handoff using Authentication Certificate in GPRS-WLAN tightly coupled integrated networks, M. Usman, W. Noshairwan, M. Gilani, A. Irshad, and E. Irshad, in proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies, pp. 199-204, Pakistan, 2008.
35. Group Mobility in Mobile Ad hoc Networks, E. Irshad, W. Noshairwan, M. Usman, A. Irshad,
M. Gilani WWW/Internet, IADIS, pp. 1-5, Germany, 13-15 Oct 2008.
- Member Network Security Research Group, Griffith University, Australia
- Member Computer Science Teachers Association endorsed by ACM, USA
- Certified Networking and Security Specialist, Juniper Networks, USA
Honors and Awards:
- Best Research Paper Award in IEEE ComTech 2017, Research paper titled as “Dynamic Trust Evaluation of Learning objects” co-authored with Ms. Kanwal Mahmud won the best paper award in the IEEE ComTech 2017 conference.
- Griffith University International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (GUIPRS) for PhD 2012-2015, Honoured with highly competitive GUIPRS (tuition fee) scholarship to pursue PhD studies from a well accredited Australian University
- Griffith University Postgraduate Research Scholarship (GUPRS) for PhD 2012-2015, Honoured with highly competitive GUPRS (living stipend) scholarship to pursue PhD studies from a well accredited Australian university
Conference Travel Grant – WoWMoM 2014 2014
- Awarded with conference travel grant amounting to 906AUD by School of ICT, Griffith University, Australia in Semester 1, 2014, Conference Travel Grant – 38th LCN 2013
- Awarded with conference travel grant amounting to 450AUD by School of ICT, Griffith University, Australia in Semester 2, 2013, Professional Certifications
- 1st Position in Computer Networks Group of MS (CS) 2006-2009
- 1st position in Computer Networks Group in MS (CS)
- Vice Chancellor Merit Scholarship 2nd Semester of MS (Computer Science)
- Vice Chancellor Merit Scholarship in 2nd Semester of MS (CS) by scoring 4.0/4.0 GPA
- Academic Standing Last three semesters of MS (Computer Science)
- Scored three consecutive 4/4 GPAs in last three semesters of MS (CS)
• Member of Recruitment Panel of ICT executive and lower level staff at Islamabad High Court, Pakistan
• Advisor to Recruitment Panels of several ICT and Cyber Security Companies
• Free Lance Consultant Cyber Security
My current areas of interest are listed below:
- Cyber Security of Cyber-Physical Systems
- Cyber-Security of IoT-Enabled Systems
- Security, Trust and Privacy of cross-discipline domains
- Formal and Statistical Modelling
- Data Analytics in several domains such as health, social science, etc.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.