BA Hons Modern English Studies
With more than 30 years’ experience as an editor and publisher, I now lead a specialist team: Facilitation and Publishing, a subset of the Technology Enhanced Learning Support team at the University. We provide practical advice combined with creative solutions for using technology to enhance learning within pedagogically proven frameworks.
I also manage South Wales on iTunes U, which provides a global platform for the work of the our academic staff and students.
In past lives…
I first started working in the field of computer-based educational content development at the WJEC in 1985, when I set up and led the MEU Cymru publishing team, supporting the schools sector across Wales. Under my editorial direction, MEU Cymru became the first fully digital publisher in Wales.
For many years I was a freelance publishing and editorial consultant for the educational and commercial sectors, including HEFCW, Curriculum Council for Wales/ACCAC, Health Promotion Wales and Howells department store. I also established and ran a publishing company for Welsh Equestrian News magazine, which enjoyed a strong high-street presence and a worldwide subscription base. I went on to join The Western Mail as a sub-editor, with responsibility for specialist magazines and supplements as well as contributing to the main paper.
I joined the (then) University of Glamorgan in 2001 to set up and lead an editorial team for the EU-funded E-College Wales (ECW) project, as I predicted that the online environment would provide the platform for the next generation of education delivery and publishing. This has been borne out by my subsequent experience at Glamorgan/South Wales with distance/blended learning, iTunes U, iBooks and the OER movement.
- Editor — for educational, commercial and news sectors
- Publisher — print and digital: magazines, books, ebooks, iBooks
- Managing Director — Equestrian News Ltd
I lead the Facilitation and Publishing Team (F&P), a subset of the Technology Enhanced Learning Support team. TELS offers practical advice for using technology to enhance learning within pedagogically proven frameworks. The teams’s work includes developing online content from both an instructional and a publishing viewpoint.
The team ensures that appropriate consultancy/training services are provided, backed up by high-quality print and online support materials — for more information visit our Technology Enhanced Learning Support and Smoothies web pages.
I am managing editor for:
Associate Member, Association for Learning & Teaching (ALT)
- Member of the OER15 Conference Planning Committee (2014-15)
- Member of the Welsh Government’s National Digital Learning Council (2012-14)
- Member of ColegauCymru iTunes U Project Board (2013)
- Member of POERUP International Advisory Committee (2013)
- Member of the Welsh Government’s Welsh Language, Technology and Digital Media Group (2012)
For the Welsh Government: establishment and launch of Addysg Cymru – Education Wales — the all-Wales platform on iTunes U for schools and FE.
Areas of Expertise
- Online learning | eLearning | blended learning | technology-enhanced learning (TEL)
- Digital publishing | ebooks | iBooks
- Traditional publishing | books | magazines | newspapers
- iTunes U
- Open education resources (OER)
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.