Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK, 2018
MSc Electrical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology Lahore Pakistan, 2009
BSc Electrical Engineering, BZ University Pakistan, 2004
My current research interests include:
1. High Voltage Outdoor Insulation
2. Power System Studies, Analysis, and Modelling
3. Planning and operation of distribution networks and smart grids
4. Management of future distribution networks
5. Distribution networks reliability
6. Renewable energy integration
7. Planning and control of distribution networks
8. Integration of distributed low-carbon technologies (wind, photovoltaics, electric vehicles and energy storage)
9. Active network management (smart grids and microgrids)
10. Demand side management and demand response
1. Smart Grid
2. Power System Analysis
3. Control & Instrumentation
4. Control System Design
1. Writing research and review articles in international journals and conferences
2. Supervising senior projects for final year students
1. Yamamah M Abdulrazaq – Thesis Title: “Frequency response and voltage stabiliser in future Smart Grid, evaluation and proposed methods” (2019 – present).
2. Ihsan Al-Hamoud – Thesis Title: “The VAR compensator control utilising machine learning to forecast and monitor consumer’s behaviour in modern Smart Grid” (2019 – present).
Refereed Journal Papers:
1. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Mechanism of Saline Deposition and Surface Flashover on Outdoor Insulators near Coastal Areas Part II: Impact of various Environmental Stresses,” IEEE Transaction of Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 24, Issue 2. pp. 1068-1076, April 2017.
2. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Risk Assessment of Failure of Outdoor High Voltage Polluted Insulators under Combined Stresses near Shoreline,” Journal of Energies, Volume 10, 10.3390/en10101661, October 2017.
3. M. Majid Hussain, Muhammad Akmal Chaudhary, Abdul Razaq “Mechanism of Saline Deposition and Surface Flashover on High-Voltage Insulators near Shoreline: Mathematical Models and Experimental Validations” .10.3390/en12193685,September 2019, Energies/
Refereed Conference Papers:
1. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “The Effects of Salt Contamination Deposition on HV Insulators under Environmental Stresses,” 11th International Conference on the Properties and Applications of Dielectric Materials, pp. 616-619, Australia, 2015.
2. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Dry Band Formation on HV Insulators polluted with Different Salts Mixture,” Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, pp. 201-204, USA, 2015.
3. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Effect of Cold Fog on Leakage Current Characteristics of Polluted Insulators,” IEEE 2nd International Conference on Condition Assessment Techniques in Electrical Systems, pp.163-167, India, 2015.
4. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Effect of Uneven Wetting on E-Field Distribution along the Composite Insulators,” IEEE Electrical Insulation Conference, pp. 69-72, Montreal, Canada, 2016.
5. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Observation of Surface Flashover Process on High Voltage Polluted Insulators Near Shoreline,” 1st IEEE International Conference on Dielectrics, pp. 764-767, Vol. 2, Montpellier, France, 2016.
6. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Prediction of Surface Degradation of Composite Insulators using PD Measurement in Cold Fog,” 1st IEEE International Conference on Dielectrics, pp. 697-700, Vol. 2, Montpellier, France, 2016.
7. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Impact of Wind on Pollution Accumulation Rate on Outdoor Insulators near Shoreline,” IEEE International Pulse Modulation and High Voltage Conference, pp. 453-456, San Francisco, USA, 2016.
8. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Contamination Performance of High Voltage Outdoor Insulators in Harsh Marine Pollution Environment,” IEEE Power Pulsed Conference, Brighton, UK, 2017.
9. Muhammad Siddique, Muntazir Hussain, Muhammad Rehan, M. Majid Hussain “Robust-Adaptive synchronization of drive and response systems using coupled chaotic adaptive synchronous observers,” 2017 IEEE Conference on Systems, Process and Control (ICSPC), Melaka, Malaysia.
1. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Prediction of Sea Salt Contamination on High Voltage Insulators in the Coastal Area from Environmental Data,” Volume 8, UHVNet 2015, Staffordshire, UK.
2. M. Majid Hussain, S. Farokhi, S. G. McMeekin, and M. Farzaneh, “Effect of saline Deposition and Surface Flashover on High Voltage Insulators in Coastal Areas,” Volume 9, UHVNet 2016, Cardiff, UK.
Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (PR165991)
Chartered Engineer (CEng) Engineering Council UK (669988)
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the areas of:
o Microgrid operation and power system analysis
o Distributed energy storage
o Integration of renewable energies in smart grids
o Optimal energy management systems
“Design distributed generation and energy storage systems to enhance voltage profile in weak power grids”
1. Developing control paradigms to model active distribution power networks of hybrid AC/DC topology
2. Identifying the optimal size and location of energy storage units along a distribution network which has a large amount of variable distributed generation
3. Developing coordinating scheme of control, operation and protection for active distribution power system, which enables high penetration of distributed renewable generations and EV charging loads in a distribution network.
Areas of Expertise
Renewable Energy Systems
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.