- NRN LCEE Returning Fellow
- Honorary Research Fellow at the Centre for Research into Environmental and Ecological Research (CREEM), University of St Andrews
- PgCLTHE (2018 – 2019)
University of South Wales
- ILM award (2017)
Passport to Research Futures, Institute of Leadership & Management
- PhD (2014 – 2017)
School of Biology and School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of St Andrews.
Portfolio: ‘Spatial ecology of marine top predators’
- MRes Environmental Biology (2009 – 2010)
University of St Andrews and University of Dundee
Thesis: ‘A state-space approach to estimate grey seal pup production’
- BSc (Hons) Astrophysics (1997-2001)
Thesis: ‘Forbidden line (III+) spectra of Active Galactic Nuclei’
My research interests are inter-disciplinary on the interfaces of ecology, statistics, geography, and computing. Broadly, I work on spatial ecology and conservation problems, particularly modelling species distributions, analysing telemetry data, movement modelling, and the ecology of top predators.
Current project supervision
- Willow West
Co-supervised with Dr David Lee (DoS) & Dr Elke Scheibler
MRes thesis (KESS2 funded) ‘Landscape use and suitability for red grouse and hen harriers in the Brecon Beacons National Park and environs’.
- Dylan Owen
MSc thesis ‘Analysing the spatial and temporal characteristics of home ranges within bottlenose dolphins of the Marianas Archipelago’
- Priyanka Sharma
MSc thesis ‘Assessing the distribution of snow leopards over a large spatial scale’
- Loren Freslaud
MSc thesis ‘Distribution of coastal dolphins off the southern Israeli coast in relation to local anthropogenic activities’
- Rowell Bingham
Co-supervised with Dr Malcolm Thomas
BSc thesis ‘The abundance and composition of shoreline litter on Malapascua Island, the Philippines: approaches to the solid waste problem’
- Joseph Oakley
Co-supervised with Dr Malcolm Thomas
BSc thesis ‘Impacts of extreme seasonality due to climate change on primate populations in the Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve’
- Eleri Thomas
BSc thesis TBC
- James, M., Mendo, T., Jones, E.L., Orr, K., McKnight, A. & Thompson, J. (2018) AIS data to inform small scale fisheries management and marine spatial planning. Marine Policy, 91, 113-201. doi:10.1016/j.marpol.2018.02.012
- Hanson, N.N., Jones, E.L. & Harris, R. (2018) Multi-decadal and ontogenetic trophic shifts inferred from stable isotope ratios of pinniped teeth, Oikos, 127, 1, 134-146, doi:10.1111/oik.04441
- Russell, D.J.F., Jones, E.L. & Morris, C. (2017) Updated seal usage maps: The estimated at-sea distribution of grey and harbour seals. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science, 25, 8, Marine Scotland, doi:10.7489/2027-1
- Jones, E.L., Hastie, G.D., Smout, S.C., Onoufriou, J., Merchant, N.D., Brookes, K.L. & Thompson, D. (2017) Seals and shipping: quantifying population risk and individual exposure to vessel noise. Journal of Applied Ecology, 54, 6, 1930-1940, doi:10.1111/1365-2664.12911
- Jones, E.L., Sparling, C.E., McConnell, B.J., Morris, C.D. & Smout, S.C. (2017) Fine-scale harbour seal usage for informed marine spatial planning. Scientific Reports, 7, 11581, doi:10.1038/s41598-017-11174-4
- Jones, E.L., Smout, S.C., Russell, D.J.F., Pinn, E. & McConnell, B.J. (2017) Review of analytical approaches for identifying usage and foraging areas at sea for harbour seals, 602, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough.
- Jones, E.L. & Russell, D.J.F. (2017) Updated grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) usage maps in the North Sea. OESEA-15-65, Department of Energy and Climate Change.
- Jones, E.L., Smout, S.C., Blight, C.J., Sparling, C.E. & McConnell, B.J. (2016) Fine-scale harbour seal at-sea usage around Orkney and the North coast of Scotland. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science, 27, 7, Marine Scotland. doi:10.7489/1876-1
- Russell, D.J.F., Hastie, G.D., Thompson, D., Janik, V.M., Hammond, P.S., Scott-Hayward, L.A.S., Matthiopoulos, J., Jones, E.L. & McConnell, B.J. (2016) Avoidance of wind farms by harbour seals is limited to pile driving activities. Journal of Applied Ecology, 53, 6, 1642-1652, doi:10.1111/1365-2664.12678
- Jones, E.L., Rendell, L.E., Pirotta, E. & Long, J.A. (2016) Novel application of a quantitative spatial comparison tool to species distribution data. Ecological Indicators, 70, 67-76, doi:10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.05.051
- Jones, E.L., Morris, C.D., Smout, S.C. & McConnell, B.J. (2016) Population scaling in 5 km x 5 km grey and harbour seal usage maps. Note to Scottish Government MMSS/002/15. Marine Scotland.
- Onoufriou, J., Jones, E.L., Hastie, G.D. & Thompson, D. (2016) Investigations into the interactions between harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) and vessels in the inner Moray Firth. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science, 24, 74, Marine Scotland, doi:10.7489/1805-1
- Russell, D.J.F., McClintock, B.T., Matthiopoulos, J., Thompson, P., Thompson, D., Hammond, P.S., Jones, E.L., MacKenzie, M., Moss, S. & McConnell, B.J. (2015) Intrinsic and extrinsic drivers of activity budgets in sympatric grey and harbour seals. Oikos, 124, 11, 1462-1472, doi:10.1111/oik.01810
- Huon, M., Jones, E.L., Matthiopoulos, J., McConnell, B.J., Caurant, F. & Vincent, C. (2015) Habitat selection of gray seals (Halichoerus grypus) in a marine protected area in France. Journal of Wildlife Management, 79, 7, 1091-1100, doi:10.1002/jwmg.929
- Jones, E.L., McConnell, B.J., Smout, S.C., Hammond, P.S., Duck, C.D., Morris, C.D., Thompson, D., Russell, D.J.F., Vincent, C., Cronin, M., Sharples, R.J. & Matthiopoulos, J. (2015) Patterns of space use in sympatric marine colonial predators reveals scales of spatial partitioning. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 534, 235-249, doi: 10.3354/meps11370
- Jones, E.L., Smout, S.C., Morris, C.D. & McConnell, B.J. (2015) Determine data sparse regions. Report to Marine Scotland MMSS/001/11 MR 5.1. Marine Scotland.
- Jones, E.L., Smout, S.C. & McConnell, B.J. (2015) Determine environmental covariates for usage preference around the UK. Report to Marine Scotland MMSS/001/11 MR 5.1.6. Marine Scotland.
- Jones, E.L., Onoufriou, J., Thompson, D. & Smout, S.C. (2015) Examining the distribution of observed carcasses to identify biological and oceanographic patterns and distribution of potential causes to assess the patterns of risk associated with unexplained seal deaths. Report to Scottish Government, no. USD 4, University of St Andrews.
- Jones, E.L., McConnell, B.J., Sparling, C.E. & Matthiopoulos, J. (2015) Produce, publish and maintain seal usage maps with confidence intervals. Report to Marine Scotland MMSS/001/11 MR 5.1. Marine Scotland, doi:10.7489/1672-1
- Jones, E.L., Smout, S.C. & McConnell, B.J. (2015) Review the extent of how new survey data affect usage estimates. Report to Marine Scotland MMSS/001/11 MR 5.1. Marine Scotland.
- Jones, E.L. & Matthiopoulos, J. (2013) Hornsea Offshore Wind Farm Project One: Environmental Statement Volume 5 – Offshore Annexes. Smart Wind Limited.
- Sparling, C.E., Russell, D.J.F., Jones, E.L., Grellier, K., Lonergan, M., McConnell, B.J., Matthiopoulos, J. & Thompson, D. (2012) Baseline Seal Information for the FTWODG Area. SMRUL-FDG-2012-0 to FTOWDG. SMRU Consulting.
- Jones, E.L., McConnell, B.J., Duck, C.D., Morris, C.D., Hammond, P.S. & Russell, D.J.F. (2012) Marine distribution of grey & harbour seals around the UK. Special Committee on Seals (12/06). Sea Mammal Research Unit.
- Jones, E.L. & Matthiopoulos, J. (2011) Grey seal usage maps for MORL/BOWL developments – Phase 2 delivery. SMRU Consulting.
- Russell, D.J.F., Jones, E.L., Matthiopoulos, J., Duck, C.D., Morris, C.D. & McConnell, B.J. (2011) SMRU seal telemetry data holdings. Special Committee on Seals. Sea Mammal Research Unit.
- Member of the Royal Statistical Society, International Biologging Society, British Ecological Society, The International Environmetrics Society, and the Institute of Leadership and Management.
Associate Editor for Scientific Reports
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.