Prof Guoping Liu
BEng, MEng, PhD, CEng, FIET, FIEEE
Main Teaching subjects and course leadership
Lecturing undergraduate modules
Supervising PhD Students and research fellows
Investigator of governmental and industrial projects
Fellow of the IEEE (2011-present)
Fellow of the IET (2009-present)
Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher (2016, 2017, 2018)
Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher (2014, 2015)
World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds by Thomson Reuters (2014)
2005 – present: Head of Research Unit, University of South Wales, UK
2004 – present: Professor, University of South Wales (formerly University of Glamorgan), UK
2000 – 2003: Senior Lecturer, University of Nottingham, UK
1999 – 2000: Principal Engineer, ABB ALSTOM Power, UK
1998 – 1999: Senior Engineer, ALSTOM, UK
1996 – 1998: Senior Engineer, GEC-ALSTHOM, UK
1993 – 1996: Research Fellow, University of Sheffield, UK
1992 – 1993: Postdoctoral Researcher, University of York, UK
1987 – 1988: Lecturer, Central South Univ. of Tech., PRC
1985 – 1987: Teaching Assistant, Central South Univ. of Tech., PRC
More than 600 publications include 10 books, 2 edited books, 237 journal papers, 51 journal papers in Chinese, 283 conference papers, 23 conference papers in Chinese, 3 invited book chapters.
Selected Journal Papers (2014-2018)
Liu, G.P. and S.J. Zhang, A Survey on formation control of small satellites, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol, 106, no.3, pp. 440-457, 2018.
Liu, G.P., Predictive control of networked nonlinear multi-agent systems with communication constraints, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, DOI: 10.1109/TSMC.2018.2853126, 2018.
Liang, Y.X. and G.P. Liu, Design of large scale virtual equipment for interactive HIL control system labs, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, vol. 11, no.3, pp. 376-388, 2018.
Tan, C., X. Yin, G. P. Liu, J. J. Huang; Y. B. Zhao, Prediction-based approach to output consensus of heterogeneous multi-agent systems wit, delays, IET Control Theory and Applications, vol. 12, no.1, pp.20-28, 2018.
Guo, X., G.P. Liu, S. Nabeel, J. Williams, Electronic magnetic gearing motor analyses and simulations for electric vehicles, IET Electrical Systems in Transportation, vol.8, no.2, pp.95-100, 2018.
Li, C.J. and G.P. Liu, Data-driven leader-follower output synchronization for networked non-linear multi-agent systems with switching topology and time-varying delays, Journal of Systems Science & Complexity, vol.31, pp.87-102,2018.
Zhao, J. and G.P. Liu, Time-variant consensus tracking control for networked planar multi-agent systems with non-holonomic constraints, Journal of Systems Science & Complexity, vol. 31, no.2, pp. 396-418, 2018.
Zhang, T.Y. and G.P. Liu, Tracking control of wheeled mobile robots withcommunication delay and data loss, Journal of Systems Science & Complexity, vol.31, no. 4, pp.927-945, 2018.
An, B.R., G.P. Liu and C. Tan, Group consensus control for networked multi-agent systems with communication delays, ISA Transactions, vol.76, pp.78-87, 2018.
Li, C.J. and G.P. Liu, Data-driven consensus for nonlinear networked multi-agent systems with switching topology and time-varying delays, IET Control Theory and Applications, vol.12, no. 12, pp. 1773-1779, 2018.
Chen, D.L. and G.P. Liu, An adaptive control allocator for autonomous vehicles with parameter uncertainty, Proceedings of The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part I- Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, vol. 232, no. 7, pp. 807-818, 2018.
Zhang, T.Y. and G.P. Liu, Predictive tracking control of network-based agents with communication delays, IEEE/CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, vol.5, no.6, pp. 1150-1156, 2018.
Zhao, Y.B.,G.P. Liu, Y. Kang and L. Yu, Packet-Based Control for Networked Control Systems – A Co-Design Approach, Springer-Verlag Ltd. ISBN: 9789811062490, 2017.
Liu, G.P., Predictive control of networked multi-agent systems via cloud computing, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1852-1859, 2017.
Liu, G.P., Consensus and stability analysis of networked multi-agent predictive control, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1114-1119, 2017.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D.H. Zhou and D.H. Sun, Data-driven control with input design-based data dropout compensation for networked nonlinear systems, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol.25, no.2, pp. 628-636, 2017.
Wei, Y.X. and G.P. Liu, Consensus tracking of heterogeneous discrete-time networked multi-agent systems based on the networked predictive control scheme, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 2173-2184, 2017.
Hu, W.S.,Z. Lei, H. Zhou, G.P. Liu, Q. Deng, D. Zhou and Z.W. Liu,Plug-in free web-based 3-D interactive laboratory for control engineering education, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no.5, pp. 3808-3818, 2017.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D.H. Zhou and D.H. Sun, Input design-based compensation control for networked nonlinear systems with random delays and packet dropouts, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, vol.64, no.3, pp.299-303, 2017.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D. Zhou and D. Sun, Design and performance analysis of networked predictive control systems based on input-output difference equation model, International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, vol.15, no.1, pp.416-426, 2017.
Yang, X.R. and G.P. Liu, Admissible consensus for networked singular multi-agent systems with communication delays, International Journal of Systems Science, vol.48, no.4, pp.705-714, 2017.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D.H. Zhou and D.H. Sun, Data-Based predictive control for networked nonlinear systems with packet dropout and measurement noise, Journal of Systems Science & Complexity, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 1072-1083, 2017.
Qi, J.and G.P. Liu, A Robust high-accuracy ultrasound indoor positioning system based on a wireless sensor network, Sensors, 11, 2554, p.1-17, 2017.
Guo, X., S. Nabeel, G.P. Liu and J. Williams, Design and implementation of an innovative electronic magnetic gearing motor, System Science and Control Engineering, vol. 5, pp. 9-15, 2017.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D. Zhou and D. Sun, Data-based predictive control for networked nonlinear systems with networked-induced delay and packet dropout,IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no.2, pp. 1249-1257, 2016.
Kang, Y., D.H. Zhai, G.P. Liu and Y.B. Zhao, Input-to-state stability of switched stochastic nonlinear systems under extended asynchronous switching, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, vol.46, no.5, pp. 1092-1105, 2016.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu and D.H. Zhou,Design and performance analysis of incremental networked predictive control systems, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics,vol. 46, no. 6, pp.1400-1410, 2016
Liu, K.Z., R. Wang andG.P. Liu,Trade-offsbetween transmission intervals and delays for decentralized networked control systems based on a gain assignment approach, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 498-502, 2016.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D.H. Zhou and D.H. Sun, Two-channel false data injection attacks against output tracking control of networked systems,IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no.5, pp. 3242-3251, 2016.
Yang, X.R. and G.P. Liu, Admissible consensus for heterogeneous descriptor multi-agent systems, International Journal of Systems Science, vol.47, no.12 , pp.2869-2877,2016.
Subha, N.A.M and G.P. Liu, External consensus in multi-agent systems with large consecutive data loss under unreliable networks, IET Control Theory & Applications, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 989-1000, 2016.
Li, Y.J., C. Tan and G.P.Liu, Output consensus of networked multi-agent systems with time-delay compensation scheme, Journal of the Franklin Institute, vol. 353, no.4, pp. 917-935, 2016.
An, B.R., G.P. Liu and S.C. Chai, Rapid development for process control systems based on PC/104, International Journal of u- and e- Service, Science and Technology, vol.9, no.6, pp. 201-210, 2016.
Li, S and G.P. Liu, Networked predictive control for nonlinear systems with stochastic disturbances in the presence of data losses,Neurocomputing, vol. 194, pp.56-64, 2016.
Subha, N.A.M and G.P. Liu, Design and practical implementation of external consensus protocol for networked multi-agent system with communication delays, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 23, no.2, pp.619-630, 2015.
Meng, H.F., Y. Kang, Z. Chen, Y.B. Zhao and G.P. Liu, Stability analysis and stabilization of a class of cutting systems with chatter suppression, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vo.20, no.2, pp. 991-996, 2015.
Liu, G.P., Design and analysis of networked nonlinear predictive control systems, IET Control Theory & Applications, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1740-1745, 2015.
Sun, J., Q.L. Han, J. Chen and G.P. Liu, Less Conservative stability criteria for linear systems with interval time-varying delays, International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, vol. 25, no.4, pp.475-485, 2015.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D.H. Zhou and D.H. Sun, Data-based predictive control for networked non-linear systems with two-channel packet dropouts, IET Control Theory & Applications, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1154-1161, 2015.
Tan, C., G.P. Liu and P. Shi, Consensus of Networked Multi-Agent Systems with Diverse Time-Varying Communication Delays, Journal of the Franklin Institute, vol. 352, no. 7, pp.2934-2950, 2015.
Zhao, J.F., J.T. Zhou, H.J. Yang and G.P. Liu, An orthogonal approach to reusable component discovery in cloud migration, China Communications, vol. 12, no.5, pp.134-151, 2015.
Kang, Y., D.H. Zhai, G.P. Liu, Y.B. Zhao and P. Zhao, Stability analysis of a class of hybrid stochastic retarded systems under asynchronous switching, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 59, no.6, pp. 1511-1523, 2014.
Yang, R.N., G.P. Liu, P. Shi and C. Thomas, Predictive output feedback control for networked control systems, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.61, no.1, pp.512-520, 2014.
Pang, Z.H., G.P. Liu, D.H. Zhou and M.Y. Chen, Output tracking control for networked systems: model-based prediction approach, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.61, no.9, pp.4867-4877, 2014.
Sun, X.M., D. Wu, G.P. Liu and W. Wang, Input-to-state stability for networked predictive control with random delays in both feedback and forward channels, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.61, no.7, pp.3519-3526, 2014.
Liu, R.J., G.P. Liu, M. Wu, J.H. She and Z.Y. Nie, Robust disturbance rejection in a modified repetitive control system, Systems & Control Letters, vol.70, pp.100-108, 2014.
Liu, R.J., G.P. Liu, M. Wu and Z.Y. Nie, Disturbance rejection for time-delay systems based on the equivalent-input-disturbance approach, Journal of the Franklin Institute-Engineering and Applied Mathematics, vol.351, pp.3364–3377, 2014.
Yang, X.R. and G.P. Liu, Consensus of descriptor multi-agent systems via dynamic compensators, IET Control Theory & Applications,vol.8, no.6, pp. 389-398, 2014.
Tong, S.W., D.W. Qian and G.P. Liu, Networked predictive fuzzy control of systems with forward channel delays based on a linear model predictor, International Journal of Computers, Communications & Control, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 471-481, 2014.
Pang, Z. H., G.P. Liu and D. Zhou. Setpoint control of networked systems via static output feedback integral controller. IET Control Theory & Applications, vol. 8, no. 15, pp. 1581-1587, 2014.
Zhou, H., Z.H. Wang, Z.W. Liu, W.S. Hu, and G.P. Liu, Containment control for multi-agent systems via impulsive algorithms without velocity measurements, IET Control Theory & Applications, vol.8, no.17, pp. 2033-2044, 2014.
An, B.R. and G.P. Liu, Using time delay compensation scheme in dynamic output feedback controller for networked control systems, Acta Physica Sinica, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 36-42, 2014.
An, B.R. and G.P.Liu, Predictive controller for networked multi-agent systems with communication delay and packet loss, Acta Physica Sinica, vol. 63, no. 14, pp. 36-43, 2014.
An, B.R. and G.P.Liu, Model-based predictive controller design for a class of nonlinear networked systems with communication delays and data loss, Chinese Physics B, vol.23, no.8, doi:10.1088/1674-1056/23/8/080202, 2014.
Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Automation and Computing (2004 – present)
Honorary Editor-in-Chief of the journal “Advances in Internet of Things” (2011 – present)
Member of the IFAC Technical Committee on Networked Systems (2005-present)
Member of the IFAC Technical Committee on EBFS (2011-present)
Member of the IFAC Technical Committee on Digital Control (2014-present)
Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College (2003 – present)
Editorial board member of 8 international journals (2004 – present)
International Program Committee member of more than 100 conferences (1995 – present)
Session Chair of more than 40 international conferences (1995 – present)
Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (2014 – present)
Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on NN & System Learning (2012 – 2013)
Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (2009 – 2011)
Visiting professor of Harbin Institute of Technology (2007 – 2018)
Visiting professor of Chinese Academy of Sciences (2001 – 2010)
Speaker of more than 100 invited seminars (1992 – present)
President of the Chinese Automation and Computing Society in the UK (2001-2002)
President of the Association of Chinese Engineers in the UK (1997-1999)
General chair of the UKACC International Conference on Control 2012, Cardiff, 2012
General chair of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Intelligent Control & Info. Processing, Harbin, 2011
General chair of the 4th IEEE Int. Conf. on Networking, Sensing and Control, London, 2007
General chair of the Chinese Automation and Computing Conference in the UK, Nottingham, 2001
Program co-chair of the UKACC Int. Conf. on Control 2008, Manchester, 2008
External examiner of 1 DEng course,13 PhD theses and 2 MPhil dissertations
Multi-agent Control Systems
Networked Control Systems
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles
Industrial Advanced Control Applications
Nonlinear System Identification and Control
Intelligent, Adaptive and Robust Control
Condition Monitoring and Fault Detection
Multiobjective Optimisation and Control
Principal investigator for the following projects:
- Hybrid Modelling and Multi-objective Optimal Design of Advanced Electric Motors, funded by European Social Fund and Cogent Power Ltd., £178K, 2018-2022.
- Development of Networked Control Technology of Multiple Smart Surveillance Systems for the Internet of Things, funded by European Social Fund and Digi4U Ltd., £136K, 2017-2020.
- Consensus Analysis and Synthesis for Networked Multi-Agent Systems with Randomly Occurring Incomplete Information, funded by European Regional Development Fund, £350K, 2016-2019.
- Development of Next Generation Energy Management Systems, funded by European Union Structural Funds and RUMM Ltd., £120K, 2011-2017.
- To Develop Innovative Products for New Applications at the Forefront of Splicing Technology, funded by Technology Strategy Board, Welsh Assembly Government and GTW Developments Ltd., £107K, 2010-2012.
- Modelling and Validation of Retrofit HGV Hybrid Systems, funded by EPSRC and Connaught Engineering Ltd., £86K, 2009-2012.
- Refurbishment and Upgrading of Facilities of Two Control System Teaching Labs, funded by Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) and Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS), £72K, 2009-2010.
- Fault prediction and reliability analysis of networked control systems, funded by The Royal Society and National Natural Science Foundation of China, £21K, 2009-2011.
- Expansion and Upgrading of Power-train Research Lab Facilities for Advanced Control Technology of No-emission Vehicles, funded by Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) and Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS), £225K, 2008-2011.
- Drive-by-Wire Steering systems for Niche Vehicles, funded by European Union Structural Funds (EUSF), Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) and 6 industrial companies, £268K, 2008-2010.
- To research and develop a new asset maintenance and management software product, funded by the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC), Department of Trade Industry (DTI) and Mayer Brown Ltd., £100K, 2007-2009.
- To research and develop a new hybrid PV and wind source renewable energy product, funded by Technology Strategy Board (TSB), Welsh Assembly Government (WAG), and Energy Equipment Testing Services Ltd., £99K, 2007-2009.
- Control Strategies in Rotary Dryers Dealing with Vegetal Products, funded by European Commission 6th Framework Programme (FP6), 1.1M Euros, 2006-2008.
- Advanced Hydrogen Hybrid Midi Bus, funded by Energy Saving Trust (EST) and 5 industrial companies, £430K, 2006-2008.
- Development of Future Automotive Technology Mobile Test Rig, funded by European Union Structural Funds (EUSF), Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) and 4 industrial companies, £335K, 2006-2008.
- Advanced Real-Time Computer Modelling and Control of Industrial PEM Fuel Cells, funded by Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW), £174K, 2006-2008.
- Control of Networked Nonlinear Systems with Random Communication Delay, funded by Leverhulme Trust, £22K, 2006-2007.
- Mobile Ad Hoc Sensor Networks Based on Multi-Robot Systems, funded by the Royal Society, £12K, 2006-2008.
- Research and Development of New Capabilities in Transport System Modelling and Analysis, funded by Department of Trade Industry (DTI) and Mayer Brown Ltd., £163K, 2005-2009.
- Development of a New Range of Wireless, Embedded Internet Based Products and Related Services, funded by Department of Trade Industry (DTI) and C&G Management Ltd., £130K, 2005-2008.
- Investigation of Splicer Process Modelling Models Based on Novel Electronic Control Sequences for New Material Splicing, funded by EPSRC and GTW Developments Ltd., £70K, 2004-2008.
- Internet Based Distributed Control of Biomimetic Robot Fish Systems, funded by The Royal Society, £18K, 2004-2005.
Co-investigator for the following projects:
- Advanced Battery Modelling & Simulation Package (ABMSP), funded by European Union Structural Funds and YUASA (UK) Ltd., £120K, 2011-2017.
- To deliver an electronic control system for the optimal splicing of technically advanced fibres, funded by Welsh Assembly Government and GTW Developments Ltd., £38K, 2009-2010.
- UK-China Network: Intelligent Automation, Computing and Manufacturing, funded by EPSRC, £60K, 2004-2008.
- Capital Equipment for Automotive Sector, funded by Walsh Development Agency (WDA), £90K, 2005-2006.
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with particular expertise, please contact the Press Office.